Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Rewrite Advice

Hi guys! 

I need some advice about whether or not to rewrite the MCAT. I applied to UofC for the first time this year and was invited for an interview but was not accepted. I'm a mature applicant (27 years old) and I've worked in a hospital since graduating from University (Honours Psyc degree). My CARS score was low (125) but GPA is 3.98 and EC's are strong. Would you recommend rewriting the MCAT? I know the CARS score is the most important so that would be my focus but would it really be worth it? My biggest concern is rewriting and not improving or having PS/BS scores drop. 

Thanks!

It depends! If you feel confident with the rest of your application then you may not need to. Also do you think you'll do better if you rewrite and is it worth putting yourself through that stress again? I'm a non trad and had a 504 (124/129/123/128). I took a prep course, rewrote and got a 502 (125/127/125/125). I was accepted to u of a this year with my 502. I was sure I would have to rewrite with both of those scores and I was prepping for a third write when I found out I was accepted. If you were invited for interview they see something in you already! That being said I may be totally off base with what Calgary really wants because they rejected me pre interview twice.... so.....

Your application was obviously good enough to secure an interview, so I would wait until you find out how you performed on the interview. If I'm not mistaken, that information gets released to unsuccessful applicants at some point in the coming months.

If your interview score was below average, that would be the area where I would invest time and energy, rather than writing the MCAT again. 

9 minutes ago, catlady403 said:

Your application was obviously good enough to secure an interview, so I would wait until you find out how you performed on the interview. If I'm not mistaken, that information gets released to unsuccessful applicants at some point in the coming months.

If your interview score was below average, that would be the area where I would invest time and energy, rather than writing the MCAT again. 

Agreed!! If you are getting an interview, then in order to really maximize your score make sure you do well on your MMIs. However, if you have extra time this Summer and you are sure you can kill your MCATs, it would not hurt if you re-write since interview prep should not take you more than few months.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I really appreciate it. I’m going to give myself a few days to think it over but it sounds like it was most likely my interview that held me back and not my MCAT. It’s a relief to hear that I might not need to rewrite but also a bit worrisome that my interview could be my weakness! I felt the interview went well but I’m sure most applicants feel that way. Anyways, thanks! 

Archived