Premed 101 Forums

Working while at Qmed

Hi guys!

I was hoping a current Queen's med student might be able to give me some advice on this! 

I am beyond excited to be starting this next chapter of my life at Queen's medicine, but I have to say I am a little worried about how I am going to finance my studies and living expenses, and where my finances will be by the end of school (i.e. how much dept I will have). I was wondering what a current student thinks about working while in med school? I've heard some people say there is absolutely no time but I was hoping to hear from someone who actually knows the schedule and time commitment of medicine at Queen's and whether they would recommend it or not. 

Any advice on this would be super helpful!! Thank you! 

I worked part time, wouldn’t recommend (especially because my hours were pretty flexible too).

Though I was also heavily involved in a shit ton of other stuff as well, so I guess you just have to pick your battles. Out of academics, ECs, work, social life, health/sleep, one must go. For me, it was the latter.

Not from Queens, but I would just say that I wouldn't recommend it. I would put my extra time on taking care of yourself because you need it for both clerkship and residency, if you don't want to do that I would rather spend my time making myself competitive for residency. Ultimately, getting your top choice residency will be a better use of your time. 

It is possible i'm sure to do, provided you can choose your hours somewhat, but again, not something I would really recommend. If finances are tough, a lot of schools do have bursaries and financial aid awards that can often easily give you as much if not more than what a part-time job could bring you. 

Archived