Premed 101 Forums

Carrying stuff on the wards

I'll be starting third year and wondering what is needed to function well on the wards. Do we need to carry tendon hammers, penlights, ophthalmoscopes etc? And if so, how do people do it? Stuff their pockets full? Carry a small bag with them?

Thanks a lot.

tendon hammer and penlight can go in your lab coat pocket. stethoscope around your neck or on a belt clip... ophthalmoscope you will have in an exam room when you need it. The rest of your lab coat pockets will be stuffed with your favorite pocket-medicine type book and random notes/papers.

you dont need to carry around a doctor bag as a clerk unless you want to look like a douche.

Stethoscope is really all you need. Use the edge of the bell as a reflex hammer. Maybe a penlight.

Also, make sure you have a drug guide. Medscape is good and free. Epocrates is also good. It's nice when clerks can write drug orders.

tendon hammer and penlight can go in your lab coat pocket. stethoscope around your neck or on a belt clip... ophthalmoscope you will have in an exam room when you need it. The rest of your lab coat pockets will be stuffed with your favorite pocket-medicine type book and random notes/papers.

you dont need to carry around a doctor bag as a clerk unless you want to look like a douche.

Ha - assuming you actually have a lab coat. At Western (at least in London) you would look silly if you were wearing a white coat as a clerk - hence there are some small shoulder bags in use. Every site is a bit different I guess :)

Ha - assuming you actually have a lab coat. At Western (at least in London) you would look silly if you were wearing a white coat as a clerk - hence there are some small shoulder bags in use. Every site is a bit different I guess :)

Just curious - your school begins first year with the white coat ceremony, right? What happens to all the coats then?

I have a white coat too, one of those short ones and there are two large pockets on the sides, plus a small one on the chest. I think I can fit some pens, notebooks, and stuff in there. I didn't want to be weird bringing around a small bag that kept everything in there.

I was thinking something not too fancy,

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Travel/MoneyBeltsWallets/PRD~5008-221/mec-travel-pouch.jsp

Or larger

http://joydrive.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/small-mec-carry-all.jpg

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/ShoulderBags/PRD~4004-126/mec-small-carry-all-shoulder-bag.jsp

I've seen a couple residents use this one ^

Depends on the specialty. And the school I suppose. But this is the trend I noticed...

Internal medicine = crisp white coat stuffed with stethoscope, hammer, light, 3 favourite books

Peds = stylish side satchel/purse (like the residents), no coat

Surgery = scrubs only, stethoscope around neck.

Psych = nicer dress clothes, no coat or stet

Family = leave your stuff in the office, grab it when you need

Obs = scrubs only. Carry a pregnancy wheel

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/ShoulderBags/PRD~4004-126/mec-small-carry-all-shoulder-bag.jsp

I've seen a couple residents use this one ^

Depends on the specialty. And the school I suppose. But this is the trend I noticed...

Internal medicine = crisp white coat stuffed with stethoscope, hammer, light, 3 favourite books

Peds = stylish side satchel/purse (like the residents), no coat

Surgery = scrubs only, stethoscope around neck.

Psych = nicer dress clothes, no coat or stet

Family = leave your stuff in the office, grab it when you need

Obs = scrubs only. Carry a pregnancy wheel

sounds about right. I think I will get that bag actually!

Archived