Premed 101 Forums

Advice (Please) - Low Gpa, Mcat, Ecs

barc16

I'm currently doing my 5th (degree) year. I applied to Ontario schools this cycle but I know my chances are low so I want to prepare for next year. 
  1. Money is an issue for me (low-income family) and if I don't get in this year it would be nice if I could take a year off and work, plus I know OSAP is only given for a limited # of weeks so I don't want to "waste" that. But at the same time, right now I'm in my 5th year and so if I apply next year and don't get in then I would technically be two years post-grad. Thinking long-term if I don't get into med I would want to do my Master's, so should I go for it now or should I wait until next year and then apply for Master's programs while I am re-applying to med schools?
  2. Should I re-write my MCAT?
  3. Is there a point of even writing CASPer? I threw in an app to Mac but my CARS and GPA are subpar
  4. If I don't get in this cycle, do I have a better chance next cycle? (see GPA below)

I just got my MCAT score today (I applied without knowing my score): 126 C/P, 126 CARS, 128 B/B, 127 P/S

GPA for this cycle (not including current year):
UofT wGPA: 3.83
Mac: 3.59
Western & Queen’s: 3.84

GPA including current year (assuming a 3.92 in my 5th year, I know we don’t like predictions but I’m being realistic):
UofT wGPA: 3.91
Western & Queen’s 2 YR: 3.96
Ottawa: 3.91
Mac: 3.67

- ECs are above average
- 2 pubs, 2 conference presentations

Sorry for all the questions, really lost right now :(

Assuming you do get a 3.92 and your GPA does go up you have a decent shot with those stats. If you want to have a better chance, re-write the MCAT if you think you can get a 128+ in CARS.

If you dont think that CARS score is possible a re-write wont really help you, plus it will cost money and time so I would just focus on GPA. Try to aim higher if you can and get a 4.0

After your 5th year maybe look into doing a MSc? or a Grad program? This is a good chance to boost EC's or potentially open up Uoft as a Grad applicant (where the GPA cutoff is lower).  Also you get paid and you wouldn't have to pay OSAP back yet.

Hope that helps!

Assuming you do get a 3.92 and your GPA does go up you have a decent shot with those stats. If you want to have a better chance, re-write the MCAT if you think you can get a 128+ in CARS.

If you dont think that CARS score is possible a re-write wont really help you, plus it will cost money and time so I would just focus on GPA. Try to aim higher if you can and get a 4.0

After your 5th year maybe look into doing a MSc? or a Grad program? This is a good chance to boost EC's or potentially open up Uoft as a Grad applicant (where the GPA cutoff is lower).  Also you get paid and you wouldn't have to pay OSAP back yet.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it!

I've decided I will re-write the MCAT next spring/summer. I know I can do better in CARS; I crammed for this MCAT because I was working full-time all summer and left most of my studying for the last 3 weeks.

I am focusing on my GPA this year and am aiming for that 4.0.

I will probably not apply for grad school this year since some med schools require you to finish degree requirements by June 30 of the year of admission and I wouldn't be able to meet that deadline unless I did a 2 year Masters and in all honestly, I don't want to wait another 2 years in order to re-apply. Guess I'll be paying OSAP back for a while. :( 

Archived