Premed 101 Forums

letters are out....

Guest nonce

Guest Folken Strategos

first off, thanks kosmo, that does put me at ease a little. Your guesstimate seems pretty logical.

And Spicy Aam, I can tell you that 8's and N, with one 7 has been in effect for at least 2 years now, but I don't know about the M.

Guest nonce

In the past, all in-prov letters have been sent out around the same time (within 1 or 2 days).....so i would probably check with the admissions office on monday, as your letter may have been sent to the wrong adress or simply lost.

Guest medman98

Hey there fellow premeds,

I also recieved an acceptance letter the other day. And I also have the same problem that ioncannon97 has. I applied to some Ontario schools and are waiting for their reply. So I do not know what to do? My question is that when I read the acceptance letter it came off that if I accept the postion that I have to stay here in Saskatoon. I am just wondering if you sign the letter is it binding? Can they force you to stay in this medical college?

BTW- If any one is wondering I recieved a 23/24 on my interview and my best two year average was a 98.3%

Guest Folken Strategos

holy smokin!!?

I'm just curious what classes you overall high 90% guys take other than the premed courses and what marks you get in them. After my two years I only managed to get at or over 98% three times, and they were VERY easy classes: math 110 (premed course? I forget), class 103, and stats 245.

so if ioncannon97 had a 97 and medman98 had a 98, does that mean kosmo14 had a 14? Cuz I would say the last is by far the most impressive considering he/she's already in med :D

j/k

Guest byjude

Yeah - I have to say - how do you get those 95%+ marks consistently? It seems like anything above that gets into the territory where human error prevents anyone from keeping an average that high.

Congrats though. You are officially superhuman!

Guest devon

I'm curious about these marks too. The 98 overall is just incredible.

Well first we can assume that these guys/girls *really* know their stuff, and they would need to be primarily taking classes where all of the exams are multiple choice or simpy right or wrong-style questions. In english, philosophy, sociology etc these grades simply aren't attainable. And there would need to be some luck in there too I think, since profs sometimes ask ambigous questions and are themselves wrong about the answer - even in math or stats.

Either way, a 97-98 overall is incredible, and there is some serious dedication happening for anyone who can get that. Superhuman really is the the only word. congrats =)

Devon

Guest ioncannon97

It's true guys. It would be VERY difficult to get marks like this in English or History...most of my classes have been math or science classes where a right answer is a right answer......also medman 98 may not be as real you guys think...He's the concoction of a friend trying to parody my previous "dilemma".....good job on that one you funny little ????. lol.

Guest kosmo14

I can definitely vouch for ioncannon as I do know who he is and how truly brilliant he is through a fellow classmate who he is related to. The other I have no idea, but if it is untrue I wonder why that person felt it necessary to post fictitious facts, maybe envy.

Guest Spicy Aam

Hey dddd,

Congratulations on receiving an offer of admission! I hope you don't mind me asking what your stats are like. I'm just wondering what it takes to gain admission at the UofS as an OOP. Thanks,

Spicy

Hi Spicy Aam. I think if your an OOP with above 88 or 89% for your best two years you must have a decent chance, or else they wouldn't interview you. If you look at the last six years stats, most accepted people's marks maxed out at 94 or 95%, so realistically most OOP have between 89 and 94 or so. Given such a narrow range, most of it will depend on your interview score. They probably only sent out 6 OOP acceptances for now, but realistically I would bet a lot more than six will end up turning down the offer. I was surprised to get an early acceptance, as my marks are no where near people like Ioncannon97, but I did get a 22 on the interview, so like I said, that is probably what helped me out.

Good luck.

Guest Spicy Aam

Hey dddd,

Thanks for replying. I agree with you - it really does come down to the interview for OOP's. I wonder if the UofS scales the interview scores - to balance a hard panel from a softer panel. Does anyone know of any schools that do this?

Spicy

Guest ioncannon97

At Queen's the interviews had a person acting as a "monitor" behind a two-way mirror. We were told that the monitor's job was to ensure that the interviewers were fair and to report if he/she felt a particular panel was too difficult on anyone.

Guest Folken Strategos

^but then my question would be, how many monitors are there and does the same monitor oversee all the different panels? I don't expect anyone to answer this, but I was just curious because there's still plenty of room for subjectivity despite their best efforts to make it fair.

I wonder if U of S can even afford two-way mirror rooms.

Guest ioncannon97

If I remember correctly, there was only one monitor. Meaning he/she just switched between different rooms at different interview slot times. So not every interview had a monitor. The monitor probably tried to observe one interview for each panel, but the interviewers or interviewee was not told if a monitor was present or not. But, of course, any such system is not going to work 100% and there will always be subjectivity involved in interviews.

• 1 year later...
Guest canmic

Does anyone know what they do with letter grades?

For example, what if a person's best two years was:

19 A+ and one A (all 3 cred each)

??

Guest MedAnxiety

Hi Spicy Aam, sorry for this very very late reply. I was accepted by USask a whiles back as an OOP. I believe that they interviewed 30 OOP applicants this year with an average of 90% or higher. My average was 92.1% and had 23/24 on the interview. I will be turning down my offer in the near future because of other acceptances. Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK to the other OOP applicants.

Archived