Premed 101 Forums

question about re-taking a pre-req

Guest Denny20

Guest Denny20

Before I was in pre-med, I failed chem 102 (Regina). I now need to re-take this class.

When I re-take it, will it count for full credit in one of my full years of study? Or will admissions dismiss the second attempt and I'll be short the required credit hours for that semester?

thanks

EDIT- i emailed admissions and my question was answered. retaking chem102 will not be considered for credit, so i'll have to take an extra year to catch up. damn

Guest RageoftheDragon

They don't like to see re-takes at the 100 level. If you can take it out during summer/spring session that would be good. If not, call the office and see if you can substitute a higher level chem for it. In any event, call up the main office just to be sure.

-RotD

Guest ctscan

I know in the calender it says that if you scored 70 or below in one of your prereqs that you can pull that mark up by taking and doing better in a higher level class (ex. eng 110 = 55%, eng 210 = 75%).

What if say I had an 80 in Anat200 (cell bio), but a 90 in Anat325 (adv. cell bio)? Would that work the same way? Naturally, these two classes were taken in different years. Would my Anat325 mark substitute for my Anat200?

Guest RageoftheDragon

It doesn't matter. The only thing required of your pre-req's is that they have a 70% average overall. If you bonked in everything else, and the 90 is required to pull them up, then likely yeah. But if you're doing that well, I doubt you screwed the pooch on everything else. So once you have the 70 overall, pre-req's mean nothing, and it's just the 2 yr average. So if you have the pre-req's covered with your initial Anat (which isn't a prereq unless things changed drastically last year), then don't give it a second though.

-RotD

Guest Denny20

thanks for the replies.

I know that once I retake chem 102 I'll have to take a higher level class aside from chem 240 to make up for the failed grade.

I'm wondering if retakes are allowed during the 2 full years of study. In each of those 2 years, we must have 30 credit units. My question is, if I retake chem 102 during that time (and i have to retake it because it's a prerequisite for chemistry 240), will it count as part of the 30 required credit units, or will I fall short because it's a retake?

At the university of Regina, chemistry classes aren't offered during the summer, so I'd have to waste an entire year taking the class over to avoid missing the requirements for a full course load.

Guest RageoftheDragon

Call the office. Explain your situation. According to their 'rules', you are out of luck. But they do take sympathy on people when they face a situation with no options such as yourself.

If they are not amenable to you retaking a 100-level course, you could always find the equivalent pre-req in Saskatoon and take it as a summer course.

-RotD

Guest osindy

RE retaking prereq's what about taking a distance education class from another university for the course. I know they allow this and you will be taking 6 courses or 18 credits so it wouldn't affect the rull course load rule. I would say look into U of S and Athabasca University to see what they offer for distance education.

Archived