Premed 101 Forums

Does taking the MDT bring down your AA of the DAT?

Shouldn't. I got an 11 on my MDT because I didn't give a shit, broke my soap, and then stopped halfway through while I stared at my glob of a soap carving and chilled before the rest of the test. I had a 23AA and U of T didn't care.

The MDT is pointless and has absolutely zero bearing on how you perform in dental school or in dentistry in general.

1 hour ago, cleanup said:

Shouldn't. I got an 11 on my MDT because I didn't give a shit, broke my soap, and then stopped halfway through while I stared at my glob of a soap carving and chilled before the rest of the test. I had a 23AA and U of T didn't care.

The MDT is pointless and has absolutely zero bearing on how you perform in dental school or in dentistry in general.

That's not true for other schools, particularly Alberta and Quebec dental schools. For Alberta, you need to score as high as you can or you won't get an interview since MDT is worth 1/3 of your DAT score. And all of the Quebec dental schools look at your MDT score, and starting this year including Mcgill. In fact, Mcgill only looks at your PAT and MDT scores now:

"Two components of the DAT are used in the assessment of an application:
1. Perceptual Ability Test - minimum required score of 15 out of 30
2. Manual Dexterity Test - minimum required score of 6 out of 30"

^This is directly from Mcgill's website. So if you want to get into Alberta or Mcgill or any other quebec dental school, I would make sure that MDT score is as high as possible.

6 hours ago, Starburst said:

That's not true for other schools, particularly Alberta and Quebec dental schools. For Alberta, you need to score as high as you can or you won't get an interview since MDT is worth 1/3 of your DAT score. And all of the Quebec dental schools look at your MDT score, and starting this year including Mcgill. In fact, Mcgill only looks at your PAT and MDT scores now:

^This is directly from Mcgill's website. So if you want to get into Alberta or Mcgill or any other quebec dental school, I would make sure that MDT score is as high as possible.

Yeah but that's not what OP was asking. For schools which don't need the MDT your score on that section shouldn't affect your chance at interviews. For schools that need the MDT obviously you want to do well on that section. 

21 hours ago, Starburst said:

Right, but the OP isn't asking about those schools.

Archived