Premed 101 Forums

things I'd like to know

Guest crang

Guest crang

I was wondering how most of you will be funding your education. I am poor and my parents are poor. Does anyone know how student loans work.

Also can anybody tell me how much it is to live near the university and if that area is a nice part of time(low crime, safe to live etc.)

Guest kosmo14

Hey crang if you want to email me some specifics (ie. size of place you are looking for, if you want to live on campus, price range) I can help you out by finding the info. for you and scanning some of the property management companies brochures and emailing it to you. I could at least find you some of the phone #s.

As far as the places near the university, most of the east side of Saskatoon is a pretty safe/nice place to live. On the west side look at River Hieghts, Lawson Hieghts, Silverwood, even most of downtown, and you should be all right. I would stay away from the rest of the west side if you don't know it (althought I am sure there are great places to live there it may be a nightmare to get to school and there are some unpleasant places to live).

Some websites of interest would be the canada student loans website, boardwalk equities(property management company that has a lot of properties in Saskatoon). If you can explain how to create the links inside this forum to websites I would be glad to post them here.

I am also relatively poor, so I am depending on student loans, millenium bursary (linked based on need to Canada Student loans), bursaries from U of S (app. deadline was June 1, hope you applied for it). The other option is a line of credit from one of the banks since they seem eager to help med students get into debt.

If you need any furthur help, feel free to email me(you can access my email address from my profile) and I will be more than willing to help out since it would give me something to do (my summer job is pretty lax).

Archived