Premed 101 Forums

Clueless premed in nursing school

aegray

APPLYING TO: U of C, U of A (and wherever else I meet the requirements)

Forgive me for sounding clueless (I am). I’m a second year NESA (bachelor of nursing) student through the University of Lethbridge. I started clinicals in the hospital this year and the more I worked around doctors and surgeons, the more I realized how much more attracted to medicine I was than nursing. I started researching med and realized it wasn’t AS daunting as I always believed it to be, and now I have decided to *attempt* to get in to med school. My first year GPA was 3.78, my second year GPA is not as important because I am not a full time student this year. Next year will be the year I try to get my GPA as high as possible. It’s been hard to navigate the premed process in nursing as I appear to be the only student in my year that is planning to go to med school. Please help me! I volunteer for Canadian Blood Services 1x/week, planning on volunteering for another organization as soon as I can (either emergency room or safe consumption site). In nursing school, most of the classes are nursing specific. Outside of my core nursing classes I have taken a full year of Anatomy + physiology with a lab, a semester of microbiology with a lab, multiple psychology, sociology and ethics classes. Next year I will also be taking statistics. I have been getting a lot of mixed advice about the MCAT/admissions process. I realize nursing is not the best premed but I am almost halfway through so I am not switching now. My biggest concern is that I will struggle with the MCAT prep/test as I have not taken many of the general science courses recommended by AAMC. I have ordered ExamKrackers books and I use the Khan academy app, and I plan on doing the 10 week prep101 course in Calgary next year. I have always considered myself an independent learner. I am very good at teaching myself. Is it absolutely asinine to teach myself courses like chem, physics, biology, genetics etc over the course of 1.5yrs (part time when in school, full time when not)? I plan on taking the MCAT for real summer of 2020, so any courses I should be taking additionally I will need to have completed this spring/summer (2019).  As much as I don’t want to take additional summer courses, I will do whatever it takes to up my chances of getting into med. Any advice would be much appreciated. I am meeting with an academic consultant at the U of L this week to discuss my options. 

Please tell me: if you believe I should take additional courses this spring/summer to prepare, and which ones would benefit me most. Also, any advice on research opportunities through the u of L when I am not taking a traditional science degree would be appreciated.  Like I said I am completely clueless so any advice is welcome. 

Archived