Premed 101 Forums

Does anyone have any idea...

Guest avarrin2001

Guest avarrin2001

From the UofT FAQ, it mentions that of the 450 people interviewed, about 270 will receive an acceptance (i.e., by the time the 198 seats are filled, they have gone into the waitlist by about 72 people). Does anyone know how many people are on the waitlist, or how many rejections are given out? Anyone have any stats from last year?

Guest skofu

AFAIK, the stats are:

198 seats

278 initial offers (i think this was on the facmed website)

~90 waitlist offers last year (from a previous post - i'm not sure about this number)

total: ~380 offers to fill 198 seats. with ~450 interviewees, them's pretty good odds. and with the possible increase in class size this year (?), odds may be even better. but i'm not sure about how many (if any) seats are to be added in 05/06.

s.

Hey uteng,

I am almost certain that U of T sends out 270 initial offers of admission. As for the number of total offers, I am unsure whether they reach 380, since that sure does seem like a significant amount. None the less, 270 offers are made on May 31. Hope that helps.

TS

Guest CTU24

I'm going to have to disagree with you guys on this.

Total offers is ~ 280 for a class of 198.

Initial offers is ~220

Not sure about the waitlist vs rejections though.

This is correct. Very few people reject U of T so 270 initial offers make little sense...this is based on what we were told during o-week too if continuous alcohol bingnig hasn't affected my memory yet

CTU24

Guest avarrin2001

hmm... so only ~60 ppl will come off the waitlist...

but we dont know how big that waitlist is, since we dont know how many actual rejections are sent out, right?

Guest skofu

I was pretty sure a previous post said that ~90 people got in off the waitlist last year, in addition to ~270 initial offers. but maybe I misunderstood, or maybe that information was wrong - i have no idea where the poster got the numbers. CTU seems to have inside info so i'd go with that.

s.

Guest avarrin2001

I know this might be crazy, but is there any way that a current UofT med student who frequents this board (if there are any), could just pop by the office and ask how many ppl are on the waitlist... just out of curiosity :\ Unless you have a good guess?

Guest CTU24

There are a few of us 0T8s who frequent this site, but we just finished for the year and I don't really want to see MSB any earlier than humanly possible.

That being said I am a betting man and would bet very heavily that the #s I posted earlier are accurate. Here they are again.

Initial offers: 220

W/ waitlist: ~270-280

This makes sense. Very few people reject U of T. They offer 220 for a class of 198 and then go through the waitlist as the summer progresses. 360 offers would mean 170 peole would have to reject U of T. 280 offers would mean 90 reject U of T.

I hope that this clear and answers your Q.

CTU24

Guest wattyjl

check out this link, it's been posted on this board several times.

if you look at the data for UofT, over the last two application cycles, about 80 ppl rejected an offer, so they had to go through about 280 applicants to fill the class. so, by extension, about 80 ppl came off the waitlist, not double that amount.

Guest BananKing

Here's an email straight from Leslie,

"There are about 100 people on the wait

list at present. It has fluctuated from year to year how many offers

are made from the wait list.

Leslie"

Happy waiting everyone =). Congrats to all with acceptances!!

Guest tomparv

Sorry to be a pessimist, but I heard from a 3rd year UofT med student, who sits on the admissions committee, that the waitlist moved very, very little last year.

The numbers in that posted document are from the year previous, but last year they think they did a much better job marketing the school and as a result very few students declined the initial offer (<35 out of 220 offers made).

Tom

Guest uteng

that's funny, I talked with a student who just finished first year and she said a lot of people made it off the wait list in her year.

Guest thesaug

Wow, I havent posted here in a while. About the waitlist last year, the list didnt move as much for our class as it did in previous years.

CTU is right...it will be too soon when i see the walls of MSB again...way too soon...lol...

Archived