Premed 101 Forums

Apply as OOP or become IP?

Hi,

I wanted some advice regarding becoming IP in Nova Scotia. After another unsuccessful cycle for med schools both in Dal and Ontario, I wanted to evaluate my options. I'm considering becoming IP in Nova Scotia, I have family there and wouldn't mind working and living there (I currently live in Ontario) for the next few years.However, one of the things that is holding me back from making this move is the uncertainty, would I get in as IP at Dal Med?, would I really enjoy living there?, is it really worthwhile?

My stats:

cGPA: 3.54
2Yr GPA: 3.89, taking a 5th year so this could become 3.9+
MCAT: 510 (127 CARS)
ECs: Standard Pre-med activities (hospital volunteering, boys and girls club, etc...), youth soccer coach, Rep soccer player, Tae Kwon Doe Instructor 

I understand for Ontario, my stats are just average and I really dont stand out, but from looking at the stats for Dal IP, I believe I'm within the average of the individuals admitted into Dal. This is where my dilemma is, do I take the risk of becoming IP or continue to improve as an OOP?

Thank you for your time.

2 hours ago, drager said:

Hi,

I wanted some advice regarding becoming IP in Nova Scotia. After another unsuccessful cycle for med schools both in Dal and Ontario, I wanted to evaluate my options. I'm considering becoming IP in Nova Scotia, I have family there and wouldn't mind working and living there (I currently live in Ontario) for the next few years.However, one of the things that is holding me back from making this move is the uncertainty, would I get in as IP at Dal Med?, would I really enjoy living there?, is it really worthwhile?

My stats:

cGPA: 3.54
2Yr GPA: 3.89, taking a 5th year so this could become 3.9+
MCAT: 510 (127 CARS)
ECs: Standard Pre-med activities (hospital volunteering, boys and girls club, etc...), youth soccer coach, Rep soccer player, Tae Kwon Doe Instructor 

I understand for Ontario, my stats are just average and I really dont stand out, but from looking at the stats for Dal IP, I believe I'm within the average of the individuals admitted into Dal. This is where my dilemma is, do I take the risk of becoming IP or continue to improve as an OOP?

Thank you for your time.

As an OOP student, you need to have a strong connection with the Maritime provinces to even be considered for an interview. The 250 word maritime essay for OOP is the only thing that matters in securing an interview (after you meet the minimum MCAT and GPA). Approximately 60 OOP students are invited to interview for 9 seats and 700+ apply.  As an IP student, you are guaranteed an interview if you have a 506 MCAT and 3.3 GPA. The interview is worth 40% of the application. That is a huge consideration. In addition, the IP application pool is much smaller, around 300 applicants, and the number of seats available are greater - 63 seats for NS, 30 seats for NB. This is a significant advantage. 

If you are serious about medicine, and you are willing to move to the maritimes. Then I highly recommend it. There is no advantage to living in Ontario. Also, you went to High School in Ontario, so McMaster will still consider you an IP applicant. There is no guarantees that you will get into Dal Med, but you will not be worst off by obtaining residency status.

One thing to note, if you do pack your bags and move out east. Make sure you arrive before September 1st, 2019 and you have proof (i.e. plane ticket, signed lease, etc) to prove to the admissions board that you arrived before the cut-off. 

DM me if you have any questions. I was an OOP student last year, but now I am IP.

3 hours ago, yeeewww said:

As an OOP student, you need to have a strong connection with the Maritime provinces to even be considered for an interview. The 250 word maritime essay for OOP is the only thing that matters in securing an interview (after you meet the minimum MCAT and GPA). Approximately 60 OOP students are invited to interview for 9 seats and 700+ apply.  As an IP student, you are guaranteed an interview if you have a 506 MCAT and 3.3 GPA. The interview is worth 40% of the application. That is a huge consideration. In addition, the IP application pool is much smaller, around 300 applicants, and the number of seats available are greater - 63 seats for NS, 30 seats for NB. This is a significant advantage. 

If you are serious about medicine, and you are willing to move to the maritimes. Then I highly recommend it. There is no advantage to living in Ontario. Also, you went to High School in Ontario, so McMaster will still consider you an IP applicant. There is no guarantees that you will get into Dal Med, but you will not be worst off by obtaining residency status.

One thing to note, if you do pack your bags and move out east. Make sure you arrive before September 1st, 2019 and you have proof (i.e. plane ticket, signed lease, etc) to prove to the admissions board that you arrived before the cut-off. 

DM me if you have any questions. I was an OOP student last year, but now I am IP.

Thanks for the detailed response. With the stats you mentioned this was one of my prime motivations to go to Nova Scotia. The tough part will be to actually make the move. 

Archived