Premed 101 Forums

The extent of confidentiality

MEDusa

So last Autumn, I was going through a rough patch and had family issues which created a lot of anxiety. I consulted my family doctor because I kept having random panic attacks and in the process I told her about my family issues. Then a week ago, I see a nurse from the same hospital which I have never seen before and he asks me about my anxiety and then he says " ahhh you're that girl who had family issues" and then he started listing the issues. I was a little unsettled... I don't know if they spoke about my case for the sake of a follow up or more if I was the discussion of a lunch break. In this case, what was the extent of confidentiality with my family doctor? Did they really have to discuss my personal issues in order to come up with a treatment? If not, what can I do in this kind of situation? 

28 minutes ago, Bambi said:

On a K.I.S.S. basis, I would change physicians if possible and not bother with the issues you raise further. 

Was on the waitlist for 10 years before I got a family doctor and I'm not changing her anytime soon and you are totally right, I should not complicate things. However, is it limit unethical in you POV ? It's just for my own personal knowledge..

I would be quite unsettled by this, especially if the nurse brought it up in a public area. It's also incredibly unprofessional they would bring this up with you both because it is outside of a patient-doctor setting, and you didn't tell the nurse directly. 

I think it's fair if the doctor was discussing you with people in the circle of care, however, i think it's the nurse who stepped out of line by bringing it up with you. I can't imagine anytime that would be okay -  not sure what they were thinking. 

I might bring it up with your doc if it continues to bother you

On 2/22/2019 at 2:09 PM, Bcemslayer said:

I think it's fair if the doctor was discussing you with people in the circle of care, however, i think it's the nurse who stepped out of line by bringing it up with you. I can't imagine anytime that would be okay -  not sure what they were thinking

This is exactly what I was thinking too. I don't mind them discussing my case, because if I were them, I would want to keep the whole team in the loop to provide the most personalized care possible, but I would keep it to myself unless the patient is ready to share that info with me too.

It literally took me 10 years to ever bring my issues up to anybody and It took that specific doctor for me to feel safe and comfortable to talk, but when that nurse just started reciting my life without me directly telling them, I just felt vulnerable and exposed... 

Archived