Premed 101 Forums

grading scheme of ut med school

Guest medschoolboy

Guest medschoolboy

hey ppl, i heard that the ut med school gives numerical marks to their students. and they rank them too. can anyone verify this? what about for clinical evaluation? ut was my first choice but after hearing this, it was a HUGE turn off. i want to go to a pass/fail place instead, where there's less competition.....i heard that ut med students aren't very friendly and just stick to themselves (not very helpful). does anyone know for UBC too?

Guest Namgalsip

UofT is H/P/F. In some courses we get our marks just so we know what they are but they only appear as H/P/F on our transcripts.

As for people sticking to themselves, that is BS!! I've never met a friendlier bunch of people. We do so much together!

Guest bluesky125

Hi medschoolboy,

In first year, UT is H/P/F except for our clinical skills course which is credit/noncredit.

In second year, everything is H/P/F.

In regards to the administration ranking us, I am not aware of being ranked except maybe for scholarship purposes???

Overall, I find my class really friendly. There are always emails to our list-serve about different answer keys, tutor guides and articles. We really do want everyone to do well. Afterall, we all want good doctors :) Also, there are endless opportunities to interact with classmates ie parties, operas, ski trips, ballet, volunteering, open house.

Guest yameater

Hi medschoolboy,

You should check out the following website that was given by the U of T Faculty of Med:

icarus.med.utoronto.ca/0t5/admissions

This has a lot of student perspectives on U of T Med. It also talks about the grading system and curriculum at U of T, too.

As for UBC, it's a pass/fail system as well. According to several of my UBC med friends, however, you're told what raw scores you achieved on your exams so you can set personal goals for yourself but it's not shown on your transcript. You should check out the UBC website (http://www.med.ubc.ca) and the specific UBC ezboards for more info--we might be annoying all the people looking for U of T specific info...

Archived