Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist?

Guest Kirsteen

Guest MadScientist03

Yes Kirsteen,

UofT was my only interview and now I'm hoping and praying to be pulled off the waitlist soon! Congrats to you, however. I read about Calgary!

MS

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest dddd

Well, I'm pretty sure it won't make much difference, but I'll be sending in a decline to U of T tomorrow, as well as to Queens.

I'm waitlisted at my top two choices, U of C and Mac, so for now I'll plan on U of S where I can save some money on tuition and housing.

Good luck everyone, I hope we all get our top choices eventually.

Guest epsilon11

Not knowing my position on the Toronto waitlist isn't very convenient...I have been accepted to other schools, yet Toronto is my first choice. If my position on the waitlist was high, I'd wait it out. If not, I'd withdraw my application and go somewhere else.

Who else thinks this secret waitlist is annoying?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Who else thinks this secret waitlist is annoying?
It's not fun, but I suppose there are reasons for not revealing applicants' positions on the waitlists. It would be grand to know what those are. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest tweep0

Hi all,

I am also on the UofT waitlist with other acceptances. It really sucks that the majority will be mailed out after July 2nd. I will surely accept somewhere else if I don't hear from UofT before July 2nd. I could lose a spot at UofT because of the timing. Oh well...

I talked to Leslie and she told me everything Kirsteen has already said but also told me that there were approximately 100 waitlists this year and the number of acceptances that were mailed out on May 31 was more that the number of spots. That means that the ~70 extra acceptances last year were not all from the waitlist batch. It may only be around 40-50. And if the majority go out after July 2nd, probably only 15-20 go out before the July 2nd. Not very encouraging stats if you have other acceptances but are number 21 on the wait list. Well good luck to those waiting like me and to those who have acceptances and do not want to go to UofT, please decline your offer ASAP! :) Thanks

Tweep

Guest Chapsony

Hi again!!

I haven't visited here for a little while and have been keeping up with everyone's news. Congrats to those who got accepted, that is fantastic news. I would have been just as elated as all of you.

To those still "waiting", take heart. Some people are complaining about having to wait and holding out for their school of choice. But remember if you at least have an acceptance somewhere, that means you are definitely going to med school next year and that is quite an accompllishment. Take it from someone who is starting to prepare for next year app cycle, don't be annoyed at all. Be thankful and proud (because so many of us wish we had your opportunity)

I am not trying to say not to set your heart on something, just be aware of what you have. Remember, everything happens for a reason and you will all end up where you were supposed to go!;)

Trying to keep it real,

Sony

Guest CalicoKal

Well, sitting here in Muskoka, thinking about how long this summer is going to be. Starting to think about re-writing the MCAT, the next application cycle, but also having vivid dreams at night about thick envelopes showing up in the mailbox. I just couldn't help but think about the rest of the people on waitlists at schools. It's a @#%$ situation we're all in. If we're on the bottom, it would probably be best to get a rejection--at least then it's a clean cut and there's not that little iota of hope that might get crushed again :rolleyes

Anyways, I just wanted to say hang in there to everyone else, and if anyone is also thinking about that dreaded MCAT again, may we all have the strength to make it through...8o

8o

CK

Guest ClimbOn

Good luck with the MCAT, CalicoKal and everyone else re-writing it. I'm more lucky in that I don't have to write the MCAT again. My problem right now is figuring out what I should do if I don't get off one of the waitlists. I know there are quite a few options out there, including doing a MSc, earning some money then travel around, or joining an internship/volunteer program overseas. I just have to find the motivation to start researching about these options, and to do some soul searching. Sigh.....|I

I haven't had dreams about big fat envelopes yet (perhpas that's a bad sign :( ), but I have day-dreamed about what I'll do when I get accepted. :P

Guest Chapsony

Hey All,

I had all but given up hope but I realized the letter I got was a waitlist letter. however, I am treating that as a rejection like you said CalicoKal. I just don't want to have my hopes crushed again.

Does anyone know the actual numbers? ie. how many acceptances already sent out? How many people on the waitlist? How many outright rejected (cause no on here has been rejected)?

Thanks, and try to keep my sanity.

Oh climbon, where have you been waitlisted?

Guest Chapsony

Hey Climb,

Yeah, me too. I am not really that optimistic about my chances. The interviews did not go very well. Also, my GPA is not that stellar. I feel like I was lucky to just get interviewed.

What school are you leaning towards, if you hopefully get the choice? I haven't heard much about U of A, but here's crossing my fingers for you. Are you from there?

Hopefully you will know soon about your fate. hopefully we will all know soon!

Sony

Guest ClimbOn

Hey Chapsony

I really hope that I'll get into Western. I like their smaller class size compared to UT, and they seem to have a better clerkship. But if I get into UT (or UofA), I would be very, very, very happy as well.

I'm from Vancouver. I had a disastorous :x interview at UBC, and as a result I was rejected. So much for having an advantage as an in-province applicant. oh well.

Wish you the best of luck :)

Guest pflag

hi guys,

it seems the u of t office is working hard to get the waitlist moving. as of noon yesterday they hadn't received my response to their offer of admission (canada post's fault!)so they called me up to get an answer (i declined the offer... personal reasons). i should expect that the waitlist will be moving soon if they do this for everyone!

best of luck!

Guest mydream88

dear pflag,

thank you very much for updating us!

I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavours.

sincerely,

mydream88:)

Guest Chapsony

Hi All!

Its good to know people are still updating their status here. Good luck with everything pflag. Well, I guess the wait continues.....I hope to hear good news for all of us waiting. This game is driving me insane:eek !

Sony

Guest Steve U of T

Interesting that U of T goes to the effort to call up accepted applicants they haven't heard from. I've heard that people who turn down offers from U of T receive letters asking them for a reason. Clearly, they want the best students (based on their admissions criteria), although I don't think other schools go to quite as much effort. Did they try to convince you to accept the offer when they called you?

Lately I've been more and more interested in getting away from Toronto for a few years, so I'm hoping I come off the UWO waiting list before U of T (although I'd have to make a new EZboard account name). Still, I'd be elated with an offer of acceptance from U of T, so I'm hoping the waiting list will start moving soon.

Guest Chapsony

Hey Steve,

I have to disagree with you on one point. ALL schools try to get the Best students they think will be good doctors. Best is a relative term and I do not think that a 4.0 GPA means you are the "best". I would like to think that a more global picture of an applicant is what they look at. Regarding the admissions criteria, I think that is just a way to weed people who are very weak academically. However, they are MUCH more flexible on that than are schools with more strict GPA cutoffs.

One thing I do find is that BIG emphasis (60%) on GPA does allow people who are very strong academically but weak on the personal/social side of things to sqeak by ( although im not sure how often that happens nowadays).

Guest Steve U of T

I think you may have misunderstood, Chapsony, although I was a bit unclear.

U of T has a set of criteria they use to rank students for admission, as every school does (although they differ slightly). Every school makes offers of admission to the top ranked students according to their own criteria. When I said the best candidates, I was referring to the people that any particular school ranked most highly for admissions, with no reference to grades (although they seem to be relatively important at U of T). U of T has chosen their criteria for admissions, and consider the students they rank most highly as the best (although other schools may consider a completely different group of applicants as the best). You're right that all schools try to get the best candidates, in their own eyes, by offering acceptances. However, not many schools will go to much effort to ensure people who receive initial offers of acceptance attend that school. U of T does, by contacting people who haven't responded or rejected the offer. That is all I meant by saying that U of T tries to get the best candidates.

Perhaps I should have said that U of T tries harder to attract those who they believe to be the best candidates, while other schools seem to be less aggressive.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I just plucked up some more courage to call UofT Admissions re: the waitlist. Here's the latest, for those of you interested: 1) at present, the class of 198 is "pretty full"; 2) there are currently 100 people on the waitlist; 3) it is unknown as to whether any offers to waitlist folks will emerge prior to July 2nd; they may or they may not.

UofT cannot release any information as to whether an applicant is on the top or bottom half of the waitlist.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest mydream88

Darn! I hoped that you guys would have received some good news already. Kirsteen, thanks for the update. You were very brave and did a good job on that courageous effort, I am sure that it was extremely nerve-wrecking to give leslie a call. I am sorry that you guys are waiting. I want you to join on ASAP.

sincerely,

mydream88:)

Guest Chapsony

Hey Kirsteen,

wow, if the class is almost full than things don't look that bright for us waitlistees. :x

But, there is always next year!:\

Thanks for building up the courage to find out that info. Did they say exactly what they meant by "full" 80% of the class (maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part)

Sony

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Sony,

No, it wasn't mentioned just how "full" the class currently is. Mind you, I didn't ask. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Steve U of T

Based on the people who posted in this forum, it seems that the vast majority of people accepted to U of T will be enrolling there this fall. That, coupled with U of T allegedly overbooking the class (i.e. sending out more than 198 initial acceptances), doesn't bode well for us waitlistees.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

Gads, the irony is just so... ironic. I just received a letter from the UofT Faculty of Medicine. (Had I gained entry to the UofT medical program then I was seriously considering going ahead with the MD/PhD program with a fabulous PhD project in cardiovascular medicine.) In any case, I just received this letter offering a new award (the Peterborough K.M. Hunter Graduate Studentship) for which I was apparently unanimously recommended by the Faculty of Medicine Review Committee for $20,000. I'm really happy to have received it even though I won't be able to continue with the MD/PhD plans. Perhaps when residency rolls around, though... Hopefully someone else receives some benefit of it, though. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest mydream88

Kirsteen,

I can't beleive that letter regarding the award. I think you should contact Leslie Taylor again. This is ridiculous already!

congratulations by the way, I hope you are able to use it ;)

mydream88

Archived