Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist?

Guest Kirsteen

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest krazeemaan

hey guys I just wanted to know.. although it seems highly unlikely that i will get an acceptance from anywhere this year (never apply after three years, serious waste of money)... if you get in at one school, is it still possible to keep an option open for a second ontario school that has you waitlisted.

Guest Chapsony

Yup, as long as it is before July 2nd. After that, all omsas acceptances become firm

why do you ask are you accepted somewhere but waitlisted where you want to go??

Sony

Guest biomedeng

Hi Kirsteen,

Congrats on the award! Is it a general award, or one for the MD/PhD?

I'll see you in O-week!

Is Kirsteen your real first name? I'll introduce myself when I meet you.

Guest u of t bound

I just called Leslie, and she said that 250 initial acceptances were sent out and that that they are getting a really high rate of acceptance.

This news really does not bode well for those of us on the waitinglist. I was really surprised at the number of initial acceptances they send out. I always figured that it would be closer to 220. U of T was the only place where I was interviewed. I am really losing hope.....

Guest mydream88

biomedeng and all,

I think what Kirsteen means is that she received this letter detailing an award she was selected for yet she remains on the waiting list.

I really hope that does change effective immediately though :)

sincerely,

mydream88:\

Guest Lorae

I'd call the office Kirsteen!! If you were selected for such a prestigous sounding award then surely you are accepted to the program as well!

Don't forget the little mix-up they had at U of T with my name. I can't imagine them leaving you on the waitlist, I'm sure there's a mix up.

let us know...

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Lorae,

The Faculty of Medicine award was a graduate one, not an undergraduate one, i.e., not for the MD program. Hence, there's no mix-up (but thanks for the optimism :) ). I just found it all a bit ironic, or as my Ma said, "The left hand doesn't seem to know what the right hand's doing". Not quite true given that they're two different programs requiring different skills and hurdles to jump to enter them, but cute, nonetheless. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

hey guys I just wanted to know.. although it seems highly unlikely that i will get an acceptance from anywhere this year (never apply after three years, serious waste of money)... if you get in at one school, is it still possible to keep an option open for a second ontario school that has you waitlisted.

- krazeemaan

krazeemaan, why is not wise to apply in hopes of getting in after 3 years of undergrad?

I thought Ontario med schools (especially UofT) looked at 3rd year applicants on equal footing with 4th year applicants.

Guest CTU24

hey Jixe,

I not sure what krazeeman is talking about either. I am a 3rd year student and got 3 interviews and was accepted first round at U of T...and know of others some of who are on this board who were also successful.

Even if you look at the worst case scenario...all rejections...at least you benefit from the experience of going through the admissions process.

As for your last comment, I didn't feel my age was a factor at all once I got interviewed. I feel I needed to display my maturity more...but age is just an arbitrary number...how many immature 30 year olds do you know?

Bottom line...if you think you're ready to succeed at medicine apply...the age or year factor shouldn't be a big worry.

CTU24

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there noncestvrai,

Can't you do the PhD then do the MD?
Technically, I could give it a go, but I'd once again be rolling the medical school admissions dice, i.e., I wouldn't be able to defer any acceptance from this year to complete it post-PhD. I guess I'll just save the PhD ideas for residency. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mydream88

I just wanted to move this posting to the top of the Toronto section.

has anyone else heard some good news from U of T?

mydream88:)

Guest carebeargirl007

Hi Guys,

This is my first time posting on this board! Just two days ago I received a phone call letting me know that I was pulled off the waitlist. There is still sooo much hope!!! I had in my mind completely shut down the possibility of going to UofT and was planning out so many other things! I am in my last year of my masters program and in the process of finishing my thesis to defend...the week before school starts :eek Sometimes the things you least expect workout! I have wanted so bad to come to this school and with my luck it was the only school I received an interview too, i was so ecstatic the day I received my interview invite because on that day I found a little envelope that I almost discarded as a rejection letter :\ I hope that everyone waiting gets some good news soon, there is lots of hope left!!!

Guest CTU24

congrats carebear and welcome to 0T8...

take some time to breathe and get used to the good news...i know i still am and i found out at the start of June.

Enjoy your summer and see you at O-week (hopefully w/ some more waitlisters)

CTU24

Guest UofT MD OT8

To all the great people on the waiting list, Hang in there!

I will pray that the next couple of weeks bring some great news to you all!!:)

Congratulations Carebear! Looking forward to seeing you in August!!

hi all

i'm super excited , i got accepted of the waitlist

i'm pretty sure i'm gonna take it

now i need to find a place to live!

goodluck to all those still waiting.

Guest MadScientist03

Hi Ren,

Congratulations! That's absolutely awesome! When did you hear? Did UofT call or mail you?

Myself, I'm still on the waiting list and every day of waiting is driving me crazy!!!! :eek

Congrats again, I wish you the very best!!!

MS

thanks so much for the kind congrats guys :D

Leslie called me this afternoon and told me the good news... I was so excited i didn't really hear what she said afterwards. I gathered that a package would be sent to me asap by courier i believe.

I am still up in the air about whether to accept becasue I was offered admission in my home province and that would be way cheaper

However, I really would like to go to u of t and am leaning towards making the move.

thanks again and good luck to all those still waiting

Guest UofT MD OT8

Congratulations Ren! This obviously means that the class is not totally full. Everyone on the waitlist, keep your fingers crossed. :)

Guest mydream88

Hearty Congratulations Ren,

Where else are you thinking of going to school? Good luck with your decision and please keep us posted :)

mydream88

Archived