Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist?

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Can anyone shed some light on the UofT waitlist dynamics? How many folks are normally waitlisted? I know it's been said that up to ~90 or so have made it off the waitlist in the past. :rolleyes

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Adamanda

Kirsteen

I believe last year 85 ppl made it in off waitlist. Did you receive a waitlist letter or did you phone Leslie?

Guest Steve U of T

I just got a waitlist letter today. It was postmarked the 31st, so I guess not all letters made it out on Friday. It's sort of strange that nowhere in the letter does the word 'waitlist' appear. It says "it is possible that a number of the students to whom we have offered admission may not accept. We have retained your application for further consideration should such vacancies arise." Is this the standard waitlist letter?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

This sounds like the exact wording in my waitlist letter, too. When I received it, it took me a few seconds to realize that I hadn't been rejected. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest ClimbOn

Got home from work today and saw this small white envelop from UT. Thought I got rejected, but fortunately, I'm still in the (waiting) game. Now I just have to hear from UofA and UWO.

Guest Yacek

I found yesterday that I was waitlisted. I guess, this means that not everything is lost.

Does anybody know how many people are actually on the waitlist? I'm trying to recall this from the presentation on the interview day but all I can remember is that they send out (approximately) 275 acceptance letters.

Thanks,

Yacek

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Yacek,

Previously, an unofficial number of 150 has been mentioned for the number of waitlistees. Officially, I don't know. :rolleyes

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Yacek

Hi Kirsteen!

Well, this might explain why we haven't heard of anybody getting rejected. Here's the rough calculation:

275 (acceptance letters) + 150 (waitlist) = 425.

In total, around 475 people were interviewed this year. 475 - 425 = 50 applicants with rejection letters. Given that the 150 number is unofficial, we can probably put an error bar of 50 on it. Hence, it is possible that everybody from the interview pool was either accepted or waitlisted. Hmm...

Any comments on this theory?

Yacek

Guest CalicoKal

Hmmm...I remember at the presentation the phrase "we had to go down to spot number 275 (or something around there) to fill the class" as if to suggest that they gave out 200 offers and then another 75 people off the waiting list got offers. I also don't think they'd put in the wait list letter that they've sent rejection letters out if they actually haven't. That seems wrong and unethical...

Guest mydream88

Hi there,

I agree with CalicoKal. They definitely send out as many offers as there are seats (~198). Then people are invited off the waitlist as initial offers are turned down.

hope this helps :)

mydream88

Guest Steve U of T

Keep in mind that some of the 275 acceptances are addressed to people on the waiting list. Only 198 initial acceptances go out. The others are to people on the waiting list later in the summer. 198 acceptances + 150 waitlist (some of whom are eventually accepted) = 348, meaning there should be over 100 rejections.

Of course, I think these numbers are based on last year, and may change. Perhaps a higher or lower proportion of first round acceptees will accept the offer, affecting the waitlist movement. On these boards it looks like a lot of people have U of T as their first choice, and are accepting their offer.

Guest rphm

Did anyone call Leslie Taylor and find out the exact numbers for this year? Regarding # of acceptance letters, #ppl on the waitlist and # rejected? Maybe they did send out 275 acceptances? maybe not, maybe everyone not accepted initially is on the wait list? Did anyone call or contact admissions to end the speculation? If not it may be worthwile.

Guest CalicoKal

rphm:

No. I haven't called. If anyone does I'd love to hear the verdict. What the hell is taking UWO's letters so long... :sigh:

Guest Yacek

From their presentation on the interview day, I got the impression that 275 acceptance letters are sent out. Now that I think about it, it doesn't make too much sense if they only want to fill 198 seats. What if more than 198 people accept the offer?

It is a lot more likely that only 198 people receive the acceptance. Anyways, as was said before, all of this is just a speculation.

Guest PaniDoktor

Hey!

They never send out more initial acceptances than there are spots, I know that for a fact. They must have sent out only 198 initial acceptances, but that's about where my knowledge regarding the numbers ends ... :P

Guest CTU24

I seem to recall during the interview weekend that U of T ofeers ~220 initial acceptances for 198 spots...

this makes sense b/c they know enough people will reject the offer

the waitlist then moves from here until the class is full usually to ~280

I think there are posts in the archives about this...

Can anyone confirm or deny this b/c I hate perpetuating rumors.

Best of luck,

--CTU24

Guest Chris0000009

Hey guys,

I got the waitlist letter today too. I actually called Leslie and asked if she could tell me how many people were on the list and she said that she honestly did not know. She said she really hasn't had the time to look into it because she has spent so much time on the phone with applicants. However, she said that if I called back next week she may be able to provide more details about the size of the waitlist. Hopefully then we can get some more info...

I was thinking that 150 seems like a pretty large number to keep on the waitlist. Assuming they must have a pretty good idea of how many applicants will decline their offer they really only want the list to be as long as is necessary. Since ~75 seem to get in off the list each year it would make more sense to keep the list closer to 100 to minimize the number of applicants still in limbo (and possibly calling and bugging them). Maybe I'm just trying to be too optimistic....Any thoughts?

Chris

Guest blinknoodle

So I was waitlisted too and Leslie told me "We will not be making any more offers until well after June 21, 2004." Is that what they plan on doing, or a just a way so that no one is expecting offers (and harassing them) on the 14th?

Any official news?

-bn

Guest Steve U of T

My waitlist letter says they "do not expect to make any further offers of admission until the third week of June." The third week of June is the 14th to 18th. Who knows? Maybe they are holding their waitlist offers until later than that, as Leslie has told you. Perhaps they want to send their offers after other people's provisional acceptances become firm, in order to minimize the havoc that would be caused if too many people withdraw their provisional acceptances. It seems like a lot of people on these boards have been accepted somewhere but are holding out for U of T.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I received some official updates regarding the UofT waitlist, as of yesterday. First off, it sounds as though Leslie has been continuously attached to the telephone this week. Hopefully posting this will help cut down her phone call load. :)

The following was mentioned:

1) UofT may not begin sending the majority of their waitlist acceptances until after July 2;

2) the reason for the post-July 2 dispatch date is that Admissions often have to chase those with initial acceptances after the June 14th date to determine whether or not they're planning on accepting their offers; thus in many cases, by June 14th UofT still do not know whether those with initial acceptances will, indeed, be provisionally accepting their offers, etc.; since July 2nd is the date when initial acceptances become absolutely firm and waitlists become smaller, UofT have a much clearer idea of who is doing what by then, and feel more comfortable pulling folks from their waitlist;

3) all that being said, there is still the possibility that firm refusals of offers may arrive before June 14th, and if so, acceptances may be sent to those on the waitlist at that time;

4) the number of people on the waitlist is currently unknown--Leslie has not had a chance to look at it this week given the amount of time that she has spent on the telephone;

5) in terms of waitlist sizes over the past few years, apparently they have fluctuated largely; therefore knowing the size of last year's waitlist will not be valuable in terms of providing information re: the size of this year's waitlist, nor the number of folks who are pulled from it;

6) in terms of notification methods to those on the waitlist, early in the summer, i.e., for the next number of weeks, the offers will be mailed and then followed-up by telephone if no response has been received; later in the summer, lucky waitlistees shall be called and/or e-mailed.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived