Premed 101 Forums

Volunteering at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health??

Guest RXK

Hello,

i was wondering if anyone has any experience with volunteering at CAMH (Spadina and College location). i've scanned through their volunteer website and i've become interested in volunteering as a research assistant during the school year. unfortunately, the site doesn't fully specify the responsibilities held by the position so, if anyone has had experience with the CAMH as a research assistant, could you please give a brief description of what you did there. also, i would really like to know specifically how many hours a week are required and if this is doable with a full course load at school and other activities. lastly, did you find it beneficial for future research work, such as did it give you background into research protocol, was it useful on the resume, etc.?

Thanks in advance,

RXK

Guest gonzo23

Hey.

I attempted to volunteer with them awhile back while I was on workterm in Toronto (4-month periods). Due to my limited time frame they couldn't set me up with anything worthwhile, but they never communicated this to me until I attended an interview (and they were fully aware of my time constraints ahead of time). So I got the run-around. I know this doesn't help you much but just thought I'd give you a heads up about my struggles. I'm not sure if I'm an isolated incident or whether their volunteer resources just aren't up to snuff. I do know that they welcome students who want to gain lab experience!

Cheers.

Archived