Premed 101 Forums

ezboard get together

Guest mg83

I've noticed that some people have already expressed an interest in a little get together before school starts in other threads so I thought i'd start a new discussion for it. Seems like the most logical time would be the weekend before school starts (July 29-30). Most people should be in town on the Sunday I would imagine and plus the restaurants/bars will be less busy on Sunday as opposed to Saturday. I guess the where and when would probably be the other important details. I'm not from Calgary so I'm totally clueless on this front. Any suggestions?

Guest wylie348

Hey mg - I agree that the weekend before O-Week would be best, so the only thing is - where? I am a U of C grad and have my GSA lounge membership card - we could always meet there.

Looking forward to it!

:)

Guest wylie348

The GSA is the grad students association lounge, in MacEwan Hall. I think it is still there... :) and yes, they do serve beer, although there may not be a foosball table ...

The grad lounge is nice, I'd be up for that. There's always Moose's and the Keg across from the hospital, but I'm sure we'll see enough of those places in the next few years.

Other ideas...Kilkenny, Schanks...it's all good!

Guest jgray2

someone has to be a member of the grad lounge in order to invite people in. for example, anyone who has ever been a grad student at the u of c will still be an honorary member. even then, each member can only bring in 4 guests (i think). medical students are not grad students -- they pay undergrad student union fees.

www.fp.ucalgary.ca/GSA/lounge/lounge.htm

Guest wylie348

Yes, I am a member as I completed my MSc at U of C several years ago, and remember being allowed in after my thesis defense - Hooray!

So I can bring four guests eh? Well that includes Stalin, mg83, Happy, and HP - but anyone extra will have to have a grad membership!

Hopefully I did not miss anyone...

Sounds good. Someone'll have to give me directions closer to the day but we'll figure it out. This lounge sounds fancy. I dont' think my old school had something that nice.

Oops, didn't see the link already up, I need more sleep! *my bad*

There's the menu and some small photos. I've only ever been up once, but it looked pretty nice from what I saw. I *think* there might have been a pool table up there.

Guest arjuna83

Hey,

I would love to join you guys, but unfortunately I will be heading to Calgary only on July 31st or August 1st. Have fun!

Guest wylie348

From what I can tell from the website posted regarding the GSA lounge, I can invite six guests which leaves us room for two more - still not sure if Happy will be able to join us or not...

Any other U of C grad students with a membership and going into U C med?

Guest faithnomore

I can't go, unfortunately.

However, I don't think you'll have any problems at the grad club. I go there regularly for lunch and have never been asked for my GSA card (even though I was with an undergrad who looks about 15). If they do give you probems, The Den (regular university pub) is at the other end of the food court.

Guest Dafunk

Hey there,

I also would love to meet you all but I have two issues I would like to address:

1. Would it be possible to meet on Tuesday evening ie. 1st of August because I only arrive back home on the 31st. I think Im not the only one who will be coming into town late, so perhapes we could do this then.

2. Could it be somewhere else than the Grad lounge? As Happy suggested, Kilkenny's might be a better choice because its close to the UofC, parking abounds, has more suitable hours of business than the grad lounge, and has mean wings as well.

Hope we can come to some sort of agreement, but if it doesnt work out, I still hope to catch you all during O-week.

Dafunk

PS. Congrats on the baby Lurker.

Guest wylie348

I think Kilkenny's is a great idea - but where exactly is it? Is it by the old safeway and Wendy's, by Tim Horton's, or is it over by Brentwood?

Based on any other input, Tuesday, the 1st of August sounds good to me. Everyone else that can make that date, please post so we know if it will work for everyone!

Thanks, and looking forward to meeting you all!

Guest wylie348

Hi HP - yes I remember - that was over in the Brentwood Mall parking lot, close to the video store, in the back of the lot. No worries finding it.

So Stalin - how are we going to work this out - unless of course we get together a little earlier on the wed. morning for coffee at timmy's or something?

Guest Lurkergonepublic

I might be able to make Tuesday. We probably won't find a day that works for everyone, so maybe whoever feels like taking charge should just do so, declare a place and time, have people RSVP to them by PM, and then book some space (if necessary). I volunteer that it's not me! ;)

Guest mg83

haha...yeah Lurker..I'm sure you have your hands tied up with the baby and aren't exactly in the mood to plan anything. I dont' know Calgary and am not moving until a few days until school starts so I don't think I'd make a good organizer either.

Guest wylie348

OK - well I will offer to lead the get together! Please PM me if you plan to come, and how about 7PM at Kilkenny at Brentwood Mall?

Feedback please. I will be away from the forums on vacation until the last week of July, so please send in RSVP's asap.

Archived