Premed 101 Forums

How to parallel plan?

Hello, 

I was wondering if there is anyone here who really  saw themselves in 2 specialties going into third year and if so, how they organized their electives in order to parallel plan, and also, how they asked for letters with both in mind. I have 10 weeks of electives in third year and a 2 week elective right before the carms period (this elective is during the time where interviews start being released - so it pretty much is only good for face time pre-interview). I already have 4 week CORE rotation confirmed in one of the two specialties. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think your situation is pretty common. For myself, I was split 50/50 between a competitive surgical specialty and family medicine. 

It really depends on which two specialties you're interested in when it comes to organizing electives. There's some that won't require many electives in that area and some that will. It boils down to, which of the two you value more, how competitive is it, and how interviews are given. 

I personally knew that even though I liked both, it would be harder to get into my surgical choice so I focused my electives on that. I didn't get that many FM interviews as a result, but enough to have a good chance. I ended up doing 10 weeks of surgery,  2 weeks fam and 2 weeks radiology. I received 6 interviews for surgery, 3 for fam. 

You can PM me if you have any questions

I am wondering about this too. I am thinking about doing either peds or FM. Right now, I am looking at doing 3 peds electives and 4 other electives (2 women's health, 1 derm, 1 geriatrics). Not sure if doing an extra peds elective (so 4 instead of 3) would make me more competitive for peds or if doing the above would be fine as well.