Premed 101 Forums

Room for rent

Guest tgonder

Guest tgonder

I am a 2nd year student at U of C and ahave a room to rent. It is in a area called bankview, under 5 Km to the med school. It is a quick busride no transfer required. The area is also walking distance to all the stores, restaurants and bars on 17th Ave and close to downtown. THe condo is under a year old and just under 100 sq feet. It has heated bamboo floors, granite counter tops,stainless steel apliances. It is 2 bedroom and 2 bathroom. I am looking for a roommate to take the second bedroom. Rent would be $925 a month, more than a lot of places but the place must be seen! iT is a great condo in a great location. THe condo is furnished minus the second bedroom. THere is street parking out front.

As far as my life style goes I am easy going. I dont study much at home usually do that at school. I like to go out on weekends but dont throw any parties at my place. Occasionally have friends over for dinner or a mellow evening.

I have pics available if you want to see them. Not sure how this exactly works, and dont know how to post them to a website. maybe I will figure that out and post them if there is interest.

Guest bioboy2007

The rent isn't that unreasonable, especially given the housing market right now in Calgary. One of my friends bought a condo (only 600 sq. ft) in sunnyside in january and it's price is already up $40000!!!

Rent is spiralling out of control!

Guest Lurkergonepublic

Hey it's oil town - you can pitch a tent on your lawn and rent it out for $1500/mo. :lol

If you want something under 500 with a private entrance maybe someone is renting out their dog house. Good luck!

:rollin

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

A squash buddy of mine is a real estate agent here in Calgary. He told me of a recent transaction: a guy who bought a 1100sqft condo in Erlton and turned it over to a company that rents furnished condos, long-term, to business folks. He managed to rent his place for $4000/mth. That's inching towards London and Tokyo prices!

(By the way, the commercial leasing rate in Calgary is currently the lowest in the world, i.e., close to zero office space available anywhere within the city.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Nobody will argue that the rental market is bad in Calgary, but it's not THAT bad. With shared places out there for $400-$600--that aren't a doghouse--it'd be pretty hard to justify spending an extra $300-$400/mo for heated bamboo floors.

Guest Stalin

Rent has gone up in Calgary, but not comparable to real estate prices... I read in the hearld last month that rental prices have gone up 3 to 10 percent. I just rented a beautiful new 2 bedroom 1200 square foot condo in lower mount royal. I am paying 1300 bucks a months.. the previous tenent paid 1200...

Has anyone bought any of those converted apartments right across from foothills? A friend of mine bought one last year.. that would have been my dream.. to walk 5 minutes to school.. but it never happened..

Guest wylie348

Would any med students prefer room and board? I am wondering whether it would be better to do that to have more time for my studies?

How about any class of 2009 that would want to share a four person such as Norquay in student residence? I used to stay there during undergrad and it was pretty nice. Shared kitchen and bathroom, and private bedroom.

I should check out how much it costs first....

Thanks for any input!

:)

Guest marbledust
Rent has gone up in Calgary, but not comparable to real estate prices... I read in the hearld last month that rental prices have gone up 3 to 10 percent. I just rented a beautiful new 2 bedroom 1200 square foot condo in lower mount royal. I am paying 1300 bucks a months.. the previous tenent paid 1200...

You are paying this much now...but are you currently on a lease?

I have two friends whose leases just ran out in the past 2 months. Both faced unreasonable rent hikes--one from $650 to $950 for a tiny one bedroom basement apartment; the other from $799 to $1359 for a good sized 2 bedroom apartment. Both complained to their rental companies (Shelter and Boardwalk) and were told flat out that the market demand justifies the increases. Boardwalk was cocky enough to say basically "we have 10 people desperate for that apartment, if you don't like the increase you are welcome to leave." Rental prices are going up 3 to 10% (or more) per month in many cases.

Not a good time to be renting in Calgary :rolleyes

Guest Stalin

MarbleDust:

I have heard of crazy rent increases...But the rent increases over the past year have been about 3-10 percent on average, according the Calgary Hearld....

I have heard of those crazy rent increases.... With interest rates relatively low.. I think rent shouldn't get to out of hand in Calgary, as people are earning decent salaries and have job security and will still try and buy that 300K condo that would have sold for 100K 4 years ago.....Maybe prices are getting too high for first time home buyers... Besides.. why should someone rent a one bedroom for 1350...

Guest Jochi1543

Yeah, a friend of mine signed a lease for a nice 2-bedroom for $900 or 950 (don't remember exactly) and the rent shot up to $1500 at once! :eek I think I will hold off on moving to Calgary until I absolutely have to. Lethbridge with its super-low real estate prices is fine by me.:lol I'm currently working for just above minimum wage and can afford such luxuries as leasing a horse and buying steak that's like $15 per pound.:hat And no traffic!

Guest Jochi1543
Besides.. why should someone rent a one bedroom for 1350...

That's how I feel....it's no New York City. You'd pay that much in New York, but also even their bus drivers and trash collectors get paid like 100 grand a year, which is sure not the case with Calgary. And, if you are gonna pony up $1350 for an apartment, why not just buy a place? I don't see a reason to break your back paying someone else's mortgage - at least break your back to pay your own.

Guest marbledust
I have heard of those crazy rent increases.... With interest rates relatively low.. I think rent shouldn't get to out of hand in Calgary, as people are earning decent salaries and have job security and will still try and buy that 300K condo that would have sold for 100K 4 years ago.....Maybe prices are getting too high for first time home buyers... Besides.. why should someone rent a one bedroom for 1350...

Um...rent it already is out of hand if you look into what is out there--compared to what it was last year at this time. And all indications are that it is just going to get worse in the short-term (according to Boardwalk who was, I must say, brutally honest with my friend.) She has looked into buying and has heard similar horror stories from realators. I have also read in the Calgary Herald about rental increases of 3-10%--I would question those numbers based on my own experience of trying to help several friends and family members try to find affordable accomodations in the past 6 months, either because of expired leases or due to moving to Calgary for the first time. I think the average increase has been much higher than that. It's very difficult for some people to absorb an increase of $300-$500 per month...

Plus, you need to remember not everybody is in a position to buy--whether for financial or other reasons. There is lots of money in Calgary rignt now, but not everybody is making a "decent" salary. I don't know that many single income households or first time buyers could afford to buy something right now.

Why should anybody pay $1350 for a one bedroom? (That's probably an exageration, but might not soon be). I guess if that is all you can find and you really want/need to live in Calgary, then you have to pay. There are two issues here: 1. the cost and 2. vancany rates that are close to zero. Whether its right or not isn't really the issue when you really need a place to live and market conditions have created a monster. Yeah Calgary is not New York. But if you want to rent here, that doesn't really matter. You either pay or chose to live somewhere else.

Guest Jochi1543
Whether its right or not isn't really the issue when you really need a place to live and market conditions have created a monster.

That's where the government interferes and imposes rent controls.

Guest marbledust

There was rent control in Calgary in the early 80s and from what I understand, it was a complete disaster.

But yeah, I don't think in this political climate you will see rent controls in Alberta anytime soon. Or ever.

Archived