Premed 101 Forums

Old accepted thread

Guest Lorae

Guest Lorae

Congrats to all of you who will be joining the class of 2008! Here is the requested sticky for you all to chat a bit, introduce yourselves, and arrange a meeting for some beer :D

May I suggest Moose Maguires accross from the foothills hospital (by the Keg) it's where you'll be partaking in your post-exam festivities all year long...

Guest squeegy80

Thanks for the timely response on the sticky Lorae. I guess what I was hoping to get out of this thread is for all the incoming U of C Meds '08 to post so we can get a feel for who all we're going to be with this year. I've counted at least 13 people here who've said they're coming to Calgary, so hopefully we'll get lots of response. Maybe post something about yourself, like where you're from and what you're up to for the summer and anything else you want.

I'm from Ottawa, 21 y/o male, just finished a Biology degree at the U of O. I'm currently doing an NSERC summer research stint in fish physiology and spending my evenings and weekends with sports and frantically searching for a place to live in Calgary.

My interview was my first time in Calgary, and I absolutely fell in love with the city and the med school! I was initially waitlisted at the U of C and accepted at Queen's, but then accepted at Calgary on June 16th. Calgary was my first choice of all 6 schools I applied to, so I couldn't be happier!!! My girlfriend also got into med school in Edmonton, so it's great to be close.

I guess that's all for now, the rest can wait until August... Moose Maguires sounds like a great place for drinks on July 30! Hope to see you all there. We'll have to figure out something so that we can all recognize each other.

squeegy

Guest chenzy

Hi All,

I shouldn't even be on this board right now as I'm procrastinating writing my PhD. And that is all I'm doing this summer... writing every day for about 12 hrs/day. I've got med school to keep me motivated though and I could not be happier. I'm a 26 y/o male, married, with a 7 mo old daughter, from Edmonton, and I've always secretly been a Calgary lover. I'm looking forward to meeting you all at Moose Maguires!

Hi everyone,

I think the pre O-week beer is a great idea. However, I don't think I will be in Calgary in time to meet up with all of you. I'm hoping everyone will be up for a patio-and-beer "do over" during O-week. I'm looking forward to meeting the Class of 08.

I'm a 28 y/o male from Edmonton. Did a BSc and Masters at the U of A, and have worked at Alberta Health for the past few years. At this point, I'm pretty pumped to be a student again!

Talk to all of you soon...

J

Hey all,

Thanks for the invite! I look really forward to meeting you all, but I'm not sure if I'll be in Calgary too far before O-week. I agree with jA- a do-over during O-week would be great for us stragglers...

I'm a 25 year old male from Edmonton. I did my BSc at the University of Toronto and desperate trying to finish my MSc. (also at U of T) before school starts.

Looking forward to Aug 3rd!

See you all then,

Ciao

Guest NorthernMed

Hey all,

I can't wait to meet everyone - orientation week will be a blast! I'm a 26 y/o male from Sask but did my undergrad in Calgary - Finished in 2003 then worked in Northern SK for a year before deciding to return to school. I'm really psyched about returning to Calgary and the mountains! In addition to beer, if anyone is interested, I hope to get some good scrambles and hikes in before the start of classes (the last week of July and first few days of August) - it would be great to get a group together.

Cheers,

N

Guest LilRed

Hello!

I often pop in here to read but I thought it was about time I posted. So...I am a 21 year old female and was born and raised in Calgary but did 3 years of Life Science at Queen's. I am never one to turn down a beer on a (hopefully) hot summer day so I look forward to meeting you all on the 30th! NorthernMed: hiking sounds great!

Cheers!

Guest btrots

ummm....

I'm a 24-year old male. I graduated from UBC in the biochem program. Since then, I've been doing research, travelling, and teaching in japan.

Can't wait for the beer! For you no-shows, there will def be a do-over, and sooner rather than later I'm sure....

b

Guest riffraff

sorry to barge in on the thread but I was just really curious.. I'm hoping to eventually get into medicine but was wondering about this Moose Maguire's place. I'm working up at the Health Sciences Center where the med school is so I walk by where the Keg, Wendy's and the plaza is and I've never seen Moose Maguire's. Where exactly is it?

Archived