Premed 101 Forums

MMI thoughts and musings

Guest happy2bme

Guest grobz

Did any of you that weren't on the march 4th interview day have only 9 different interviewers for the ten stations? Or for some of you was it ten?

My biggest complaint was that we had 9 interviews for the 10 stations, so I had the same guy for both the 1st and last stations. It wouldn't have been so bad except he was a grumpy dude who always interrupted during my answers. After the MMI all of my group said "all the interviewers were great except 'Mr. X (you will know who I speak of if you were in the 7:00 red group)"! I just happened to have him

twice! That kinda made me mad.

I hope that there is some sort of way they standardize the scores because if he was a low marker (which he seemed to be) and then they just take your average score from all ten stations, I have two low marks to bring me down instead of just one.

Let me know what you wise people think.

g

Guest jess from etown

hey hey

i was on feb 26 and i only had 9 people meaning i got person number one twice. i was actually thinking about this because there was one guy (read: horrible interviewer) and i was thinking once with him was enough for me - i would hate to have him again. i have no legit knowledge on what they actually do, but my speculation is that they might be able to see if one interviewer repeatedly scored people lower and somehow adjust for that....

again, it's just my guess...

jess

Guest Lurkergonepublic

Don't sweat the 'mean' interviewers. Although it doesn't make you feel as good as someone friendlier, their comportment really has nothing to do with how they will score you. Last year my UofA panel seemed hostile, indifferent and unimpressed, while my UofC panel was friendly, agreeable, and relaxed. In my feedback, I got exactly the same interview score at each school, and actually had more negative comments from the UofC assesors. Those smiles can hide analytical criticism as well. Interviewer surface personality has little to do with how they actually evaluate. Often if they press you constantly on an answer, and you keep repeating the same answer, they'll score you well for not back-peddling when pressed.

Plus, if you feel like your interviews may have messed up (i.e. forgot to ask some questions as mentioned in an earlier post), keep in mind that many interviewers will give you the benefit of the doubt if you didn't get an equal chance - you might score better than if you actually had time to answer the question! Bottom line - unless the interviewer tells you (which they shouldn't), you have no real way of knowing how you did until you see the results.

I've not heard for UofC, but I believe most schools use some kind of normalizing system to correct for too tough or too generous interviewers. That's actually a much bigger problem in a traditional interview where you only get evaluated by 2 or 3 people. An outlying interviewer in an MMI is actually going to be partially corrected for by the whole process. As for 9 interviewers for 10 questions, I think that's how they all were done (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I was March 4 blue group, and that's what I had.

Hi back to you....what's your real name....you said you met me but who specifically were you? It was nice to talk to everyone. i had a good time

Mona

Guest UBCGuyFromAlberta

Hi all,

I am a first year UBC student from Calgary who peeks into this board once in a while.

I was wondering about the format of the MMI. Are all ten of the stations taken into account, or is it a drop the highest and lowest mark kind of deal?

The latter seems more logical to me as it reduces both the chance that someone recognizes you and marks you really really well and having different views from one of the interviewers and ticking them off.

I really hope to go to UofC for medicine. UBC has been alot of fun and I have learned alot about myself, but I really want to come home.

Thanks in advance,

UBCGuyFromAlberta

Guest Win2002

yeah,

Dr. LeMay mentioned the scoring is like figure skating where the highest and lowest are dropped or something along those lines...

although I think figure skating has changed its scoring system recently?

(on a side note I am neither a fan nor possess any concrete knowledge about international figure skating....really!)

Guest UBCGuyFromAlberta

Thankyou for your reply. It would be aweful if you weren't offered a spot because an interviewer was having a @#%$ day and you got him aggrivated.

I am also not a figure skating watcher or follower but I had heard the same thing after the Selle and Pelletier thing.

Thanks again

UBCGuyFromAlberta

• 2 weeks later...
Guest grandmellon

Don't worry if you have a grumpy interviewer. The MMI Process is designed to get rid of any grumpy interviewers or biased interviewers by smoothing out your avg scores for all the stations. The best thing to do in a grumpy station is to keep your composure. Sometimes they interviewer is just seeing how you function under stress or with someone hard to work with.

My 2 cents

GM

Archived