Premed 101 Forums

I don't know who to ask

I need a pocket sized Ophthalmoscope, long story short one of uncles (also doctor) lives in a lets say poor country and his hospital isn't providing them with tools. Basically they have to get their own. He asked me if I can get him an Ophthalmoscope and an Otoscope and he will pay for it. I am planning on gifting it for him but for the life of me I can't find a single seller around me. 

I live in BC, and if possible I'd like it to be priced under $300.

30 minutes ago, freewheeler said:

Usually you buy online or if there's an overzealous upper year med student who bought their own personal ophthalmoscope and realized it was a waste of money, they'll be happy to sell it to you.

I would buy it online if I knew which ones to buy, which ones are good and which ones are not. As far as older med students, I already asked unfortunately I didn't have any luck there. 

The Welch Allyn ones are very good. Unfortunately you won’t find anything under 500$. There are some kits that come with both the otoscope and the ophthalmoscope for approx 1000$. The pan-optic ophthalmoscope gets a much better view than the normal ophthalmoscope depending on what your family member is using it for. It’s about 1k.