Premed 101 Forums

Calgary essay

Guest anuanuanu

Guest anuanuanu

Hello, Here's one of the prompts for the essay for the Calgary application:

"You will be asked to describe “an experience and its effects which has had a significant impact on your life. This experience must be unconnected to your academic career and application to medical school.”"

My question is about interpreting the 2nd sentence where it states the experience must be unconnected to the application to medical school. Do you think they're mainly trying to steer students away from writing about an experience directly related to the application process OR do they not want you to talk about how your chosen experience (whatever it may be) relates to your application to medical school? I'm thinking that they mean the former, but do you agree? Thanks for any comments.

Guest kaymcee

I'm not sure what's ambiguous about the statement. I'm also unsure how to answer your question.

If you're comfortable, perhaps tell us what you're planning to write about. That would give a better indication as to what you're unsure about.

Guest anuanuanu

I'm not clear about what they mean by "unconnected to the application to medical school". I wanted to describe some of the volunteering experiences I've had. I would mention how the activities shaped my interest in medicine... I'm not sure if that's making my answer "connected" with the application to medical school in the way that they're stating they don't want. Maybe it's not that important anyway.

Guest UWOugrad

i don't think its that complicated...from what you just said, it sounds like you're planning to do exactly what they don't want.

"unconnected to your application to medical school" means write about something that may/may not have an influence on your decision to apply, but don't mention that it has ANYTHING to do with it.

I think the question is very clear, and in fact the purpose of the question is also very clear. They want to see if you're life has anything meaningful BESIDES you're decision to apply to medicine.

basically, i think they want to make sure the students they accept are not drones, programmed to fill in applications and relate everything to their med-school decision.>:

Guest CrazyKath

Hey all,

Just to toss in my 2 cents (which is probably worth about 1/2 cent) I think the essay is your opportunity to show who you are and what's important to you BESIDES the all encompassing drive towards medicine.

Take an experience, anything, that has influenced who you are and what you value and write about it. Ideally it will be a change towards the positive (not "how I realized I like to steal things from babies") and if that boosts your application then hooray! But do not, DO NOT write about how you "struggled with the decision towards medicine and have now realized that I am the single best candidate for all things clinical."

My essay involved aspects of providing care and taking responsibility, but those were clearly not the focus of the essay. Let them make those connections on their own!

As I said, something that is important and meaningful to you (you want to stand out among the others), but not solely focused on academia and your application. They have all of your grades, MCAT and references... now take the time to show WHO you are and what has influenced you.

Archived