Premed 101 Forums

Line of credit for dental school in Australia

Hi everyone!

I was hoping you guys could help me out. I was successful in securing a seat at a dental school in Australia and am now in the process of trying to obtain a student line of credit to pay for my studies, but I don’t have a co-signer (my credit is excellent though). Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is it possible to secure a LOC without a co-signer?

Many of the major banks seem to offer great options, but they seem to be reserved for students studying dentistry in Canada and/or require a co-signer. That being said, seeing that there is a reciprocal agreement in place between Canada and Australia I’d hope there would be some leeway.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks everyone and good luck!

From what I've seen regardless of the reciprocal agreement, banks usually reserve those student professional LOC's for those attending Canadian Universities. I'm sure its the fact that they feel those studying in Canada are more likely to remain in Canada and therefore in the future they'll get more of their business.

12 hours ago, member_225 said:

What do you do if you can't secure a loan? Not attend dental school? 

12 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Same thing what everyone else in the real world  does when they can't afford something, don't get it.

I knew 2 people who got in the year I did, but either could not get a big enough LOC or did not qualify for an LOC all together.  They just didn't go.  Sometimes I feel like they're better off for not going.

7 hours ago, McMarauder said:

I knew 2 people who got in the year I did, but either could not get a big enough LOC or did not qualify for an LOC all together.  They just didn't go.  Sometimes I feel like they're better off for not going.

In what regards? The schooling or the work/career life?