Premed 101 Forums

New Application is up and there are some changes

Guest happy2bme

Guest happy2bme

So the new Application is up.

Essay topic has change to Describe an experience and it's effects which has had a significant impact on your life

and another essay, shorter only 250 words, is now required Why did you choose medicine as a career?

required GPA to Apply has changed from 3.0 to 3.2 for inprov and 3.6 for OOP. An OOP formula has been posted and the top 85 according to the formula will be interviewed, Inprov all criteria are assessed and the top225 will be interviewed.

Also of note, to keep your acceptance you must maintain a 3.2 for that semester. so if you were only taking one course and got a B you would be screwed.....

Oh yeah And they still say only 100 students not the 125 they have been given the money and approval for.....

Well now to start the process all over......

Guest marbledust
Oh yeah And they still say only 100 students not the 125 they have been given the money and approval for.....

Happy I understand your frustration. But you have to keep in mind that when you are dealing with post-secondary instituions (ie the government) things often move slowly. Universities are a bastion of red-tape. I am sure once all the logistical issues of adding another 25 bodies to the medical class are straightened out, the increase will come into effect.

Guest happy2bme

Dear Marbledust,

I think you are reading too much emotion into my posts. I post here to give and receive info and have a little fun with others who share my interest in healthcare. Do not feel the need to defend the UofC when I am not tearing the institution down. I was just stating what was up on the website and since both Beth and Adele, the Board of Governors, and countless others had inferred that the increase probably wouldn't happen this year but for sure next cycle, I found it strange that it wasn't put on the website but alot of other changes to the application were.

Whether it's 100 or 125 or 50, I still only require one spot and that's what I'm gunning for next year.....at the UofC.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!!!

Yeah, I was a little surprised that they didn't have 125 up their either...maybe they'll make an announcement later on.

Does anyone know when the application will actually be live? I tried to create a new file this morning and it said it wasn't up yet.

Guest marbledust
Do not feel the need to defend the UofC when I am not tearing the institution down

I wasn't defending U of C, Happy. I myself am not a huge fan of the university. Never have been and most likely never will be. Unfortunately, my desire to live in Calgary means I am, and have been, a perpetual U of C student. But you do seem to bring up the expansion (or lack thereof) quite often.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest juicyprunes

Hi Marbledust,

I'm planning to apply to U of C and was just wondering what are some or your issues/concerns about U of C?...ie..what don't you like about the school?

Thanks

Guest ucbound

Hi All,

Was the following selection criteria used last year? -:

The Admissions Committee will review the complete files of the top-ranked (up to 150) non-Albertans, using the six pre-interview criteria listed on the web site. For this group, up to 85 will be invited for interview.

If not, how many non-Albertans were selected last year for an interview? Also, what was the ranking formula cut-off calculated for last year?

Thanks!

Guest kaymcee

Hi ucbound,

I believe 100 people were given interviews last year, but only the top 100 out-of-province applicants were considered based on their GPA, and VR and BS MCAT scores.

This year, the top 150 out-of-province applicants are considered based on their GPA (best two years), and VR and BS MCAT scores. The entire application package (extracurricular activities, personal essays, etc.) of these 150 people is then judged, the top 85 candidates being given the interview. I'm not sure if the formula was the same last year, but this year it is:

62.517(GPA) + 12.122(VR) + 6.757(BS)

I vaguely remember a thread that had people reporting their numbers and whether or not they received an interview. I think they were also given a cut-off. It was probably lost in the attack.

Archived