Premed 101 Forums

So the waitlist is moving already...

Guest happy2bme

Guest medsmurf

Well I guess bigmac had good news for the OOP's but what about all of us on the mile long IP waitlist? Ugh...the wait continues...:(

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bigmac

Sorry guys, no news for the IP waitlist. From what I could gather, it appeared as though they are going through the OOP's first. It would make sense considering that they would have the most to gain from learning early and are the most likely to have already accepted at another school. Plus that is how they went through the first round acceptances. But who knows. I know the waiting game sucks. Hang in there.

D Mac

Guest DrNicki

Here's an update those on the IP waitlist who are, well, waiting! I got the call from Calgary yesterday afternoon and I'm pretty certain I'll be declining the spot (heading to Queens). So there will be some movement! Good luck to those next in line ;)

N.

Guest happy2bme

YES YES

I thought they forgot about us IP! My confidence in the "system" is restored!

Congrats Dr.Nicki on the Queens acceptance!

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd let you know I faxed the office today to pull off the OOP waitlist, I'm UWO bound in the fall. (Not to say I wasn't last so it does anyone any good, but it's the thought that counts right? ;)

Best of luck to you all!

Take care!

Guest happy2bme

Yes the declined acceptances for inprov are slowly trickling in, only a few inprov have been pulled off the waitlist to date according to Admissions today when I inquired. So us inprovs are not imagining the slowness, it is true. Although they still aren't "officially ruling out" more seats for August!....So any one who know a doc in Calgary, hassle them to become part time faculty!!!!I'd put a smiley face here but I can't figure out to post them so they show up!

Guest squeegy80

hey happy2bme,

Just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate you giving updates on the waitlist situation first-hand from the U of C offices. I, along with many others I'm sure, are anxious every day for that phone call and any information about it is gold.

I'm a current OOP waitlistee (although I'm a 3rd year OOP, so my hopes aren't too high) so if you hear anything more about that situation, please don't hesitate to post it. I guess my big chance has gone by with that big batch of calls earlier this week, hopefully they didn't fill all the remaining spots.

Thanks again!!

squeegy

Guest happy2bme

I definitly think that as an OOP your chances are pretty good especially since people don't mind plunking down the $100.00 for the Calgary school while they wait it out on the Ontario waitlists. By looking at the Ontario forums alot of people have multiple acceptances and haven't decided where to go yet so once final decisions have been made by those folks the Ontario waitlists will do alot of moving and hopefully some of those accepted off the Ontario waitlist also have accepted Calgary spots which they will ultimatly decline. Although I'm sure I'm just stating the obvious to you.....

Since by following alot of your posts and your "friend"'s posts I realize that the closer you are to UofA the better. However one good thing about out east is that at least you both would have summers off to spend together, although weekends in Alberta would be better!! So I'm hoping you hear good news by August!

Guest megs29

I agree, happy. Weekends in AB would be much better than summers. Especially if we can't spend the summers together. Let's hope that squeegy's not the last one on the list... I've got my fingers crossed.

Maybe if we're really lucky I'll get off the waitlist in Calgary too, although I think my chances are less on the IP list.

Megs

Guest medsmurf

Ugh...the uncertainty is driving me crazy. So many decisions and plans rely on knowing if I will be going to Calgary or not. I'm getting so frustrated and it's getting harder and harder to keep my mind off of it (checking this forum 100 times a day I guess isn't helping:p )

As happy2bme mentioned, the IP waitlist has not moved much yet so at least there is still hope.

Guest squeegy80
Since by following alot of your posts and your "friend"'s posts I realize that the closer you are to UofA the better. However one good thing about out east is that at least you both would have summers off to spend together, although weekends in Alberta would be better!! So I'm hoping you hear good news by August!

Thanks for the kind words, happy2bme! I wish you the best with your U of C status as well!

squeegy

Guest CrazyKath

Hello to all the OOP waiters!

A friend of mine got several offers across Canada and will be releasing her OOP place at Calgary. Hopefully I'm next on the list :) , but I thought I'd give everyone a heads up that moves are still happening!

Patience.... grr!

~K~

Guest medsmurf

I was getting impatient and emailed admissions today. Here is what they said...

"The list [iP] is moving, but slowly.* There are no new seats as far as we know.* It probably won't be until next year that we increase the size."

Not sure if that means that it looks like the IP waitlist isn't going to move as much this year as in previous years or if it's just starting off slow but will pick up speed later.

Guest happy2bme

uuuugggghhhh

I check this forum everyday and have come to the conclusion that I am addicted.

I find myself getting excited at the most minute details. I hope to never ever be waitlisted again. Rejection, while it hurts, lets a person get on with their life. A waitlist with more people on it than seats available is cruel and unusual punishment....

On a more happier note, I see by looking at the other boards that some more people are withdrawing from U of C and UofA which hopefully makes Uof C waitlist move in the next day or two!!

How many of you call home in the middle of the day to check your messages and get excited if you have one and then upon hearing it's your mom, sister, insurance company, immediately get that sinking feeling....

I gotta stop checking my messages from the office!

Guest CrazyKath

My understanding is that the first step towards overcoming an addiction is admitting you have a problem....

I freely admit that I am addicted to the forum. :o

I hear you happy2bme, anytime I pull into the driveway I have a brief flash of "ooo maybe I have a msg from Calgary", but no... it's usally a telemarketer. And yes, I'm happy with my long distance carrier thank you.

*sigh* Patience is a virtue blah blah.....

Stay strong waitlisters! Party at my house if we get in :b

Guest lots of thinking

LOL-

I know we've gone through this before, but I think its ridiculous.

If they would just tell us where we were on this silly, non moving waiting list, at least most of us could move on........

it makes no sense to me why they would keep this important information from us!!!

8o

Guest medsmurf

I know! Now that they are almost certain there will not be any new seats this year they should be giving out rejection letters to the people at the bottom of the waitlist.

Guest wylie348

I have to agree that all this checking, and paranoia regarding the answering machine is a little crazy. But I also have to say that we have all stuck it out this long - lets hope we do not have to stick it out much longer!

I often do not wan't to post to this thread as it makes me (and probably others) feel like there is something vital to read regarding admissions! Here is hoping that those of us dutifully monitoring the forum get in so we can discuss the frustration and anxiety together this fall over a drink!

;)

Guest squeegy80

I just got a call from Susan today that I'm in off the OOP waitlist!!!! This is the best news ever!!! :rollin

So all those on the OOP waitlist, don't lose hope, they are calling people and said they are still moving down the waitlist!! I wish the best for all of you, and hopefully I'll see you in Calgary this fall! In a month and a half.... :eek time to get cracking on housing and CPR and the million other things I now have to frantically get done!

Good luck!!

squeegy

Edit: Just wanted to say thanks to bigmac and happy2bme for keeping my hopes up these last couple weeks, and a huge thanks for all the OOP's that pulled off the waitlist in front of me!

Guest CrazyKath

Congrats squeegy! I can imagine how much of a relief that must be! I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'll see you in Calgary.

Hang in there OOPs!

Guest medsmurf

Congratulations squeegy! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will see you in Calgary in August.

Alright U of C, it's about time to throw us IP waitlisters a bone...

Guest happy2bme

Fantastic Squeegy! You'll love Calgary and you get to make someone on the ?Queens? waitlist very happy!

I'm sure that some more OOP will still hear before schools starts due to the higher academic requirements for the OOP interviews this year, so all the OOP still waiting there is still alot of hope!

As for the poor souls on the IP waitlist, well there's always Ms. Margarita and Mr. J Daniels to help us cope....LOL

Guest pinkmango2005

Hi!

Just wanted to let you know that I got into U of A so another spot will be opening up in Calgary. I told my parents to call it in quick to end the waiting for one of you (I'm not in the country right now and am using precious internet cafe minutes to write this message :) . I am fourth year in province. Good luck to everyone!

Archived