Premed 101 Forums

So the waitlist is moving already...

Guest happy2bme

Guest lots of thinking

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought they built the theatres now in order to accomodate more students than they presently have?

am I wrong?

:hat

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest happy2bme

Space is not an issue according to Admissions.

As for Lorae's comments, I am not suggesting that anyone pump students through the medschool by any means, planning is always neccessary for any type of increase in enrollement regardless of the type of school.

However, all of us have known in the last 2 maybe even 3 years, that the increase was imminent. Nothing is proposed to the University budgets, approved or not,without a plan of action. Although this is the first year that the increase was approved to go ahead by the Board of Governors, it has been proposed before. The increase in seats is NOT a surprise.

I realize that more teachers are required for group etc. clinical skills etc. And that these positions require volunteers/low renumeration individuals to which everyone is greatful. If recruitment is indeed the issue, which I believe it is, if they can't get enough teachers for 5 extra seats(for example ) in the 4 months since the approved increase, how can they add 25 seats in 16 months ( since the approval)

OR is it an all or none scenerio... 25 seats or 0 seats. What happens if they are able to recruit enough personel for 15 extra seats? Do they still only accept 100 or 115? If the answer is still 100, I don't understand why? Any thoughts....

Have a great long weekend everyone!

Guest Lorae

I guess what I'm saying is that there are some things that just can't be planned for ahead of time - to the extent I think you're suggesting they should.

If you need an additional 15 teachers (or if there only happens to be 15 of them so you 're asking them to double their time commitment) you really can't ask 3 years ahead of time. Schedules change. Faculty changes.

The faculty here is very enthusiastic about teaching us, but there's only so many of them - with only so many hours they are able to dedicate. I know there have been some blocks where the course coordinators are scrambling at the last minute trying to get everything organized. This isn't a lack of planning by any means ... just the reality of trying to fit things into the schedules of many many many busy physicians.

It's a logistical nightmare - and one that isn't solved by trying to get Dr. So-and-so to commit to more teaching time 3 years in advance.

And as a side note to answer someone's question, I don't think space is a problem at all. The renovations have been done for a long time (small group rooms, etc) and our classrooms aren't filled to the brim quite yet ;)

Lor

Guest btrots

I'm a 24-year old male. I graduated from UBC in the biochem program. Since then, I've been doing research, travelling, and teaching in japan.

Can't wait for the beer! For you no-shows, there will def be a do-over, and sooner rather than later I'm sure....

b

Guest happy2bme

Lorae,(or others "in the know")

Do you know if it is an all or none situation? Either 25 seats added or 0, nothing in between?

I'm leaning to the all or nothing scenerio or they would have released seats already as they became able to accomadate them.

On an aside note, my gills are beginning to disapear with the sun shining today. Yay!

Guest Lorae

Hehehe... I'm not really in the know :) I've been so busy with school, research, and now my elective I didn't even know the funding was official...

I honestly have no idea if it's an all-or-nothing thing.

Wish I could help more :(

Guest Scarlett

Hey Happy (and all you other waitlist hopefuls),

I just thought I should let you know that I was in the office on Thur and Susan said that there will be no additional seats added for this year and she sounded pretty definite.

Next year the extra seats will be in place and they will probably be interviewing about 50 extra people (both for in-prov and OOP) as a result.

She also said that the in-prov waitlist is still trickling along slowly, but that it was likely to continue like that until school starts in August.

Anyway, just thought I would share the info!

And I really hope someone on this forum gets some good news soon so it will lift all our spirits a bit!

Scarlett :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CrazyKath

Got a msg from Susan! I'M IN as an OOP!! Yeehaw!

Can't wait to meet all you posters in August... dear god I have a lot to do!!

Hang in waitlisters! It's still moving!

Guest happy2bme

Way to go!!!! You'll love Calgary!

Where are you moving from? They've got an Ikea here so if moving your furniture is a lot you might want to consider just buying Ikea stuff for the price of moving sometimes it makes more sense. Although you might have to have an allen key party with some of your new friends in order to put it all together by x-mas!

Usually I am not a jealous person but I'm definitly a light shade of green right now even though I'm not even OOP.

Enjoy your last couple of weeks of summer.....

Guest CrazyKath

Thanks happy, I still have my fingers crossed for you!

I'm moving from Victoria, BC (Farewell Ocean!!) so at least it's not too far a move. Although I might have to live in a Frigidaire box on the street this late in the game...

Guest Scarlett

Hey Happy!

I just want to let you know I feel your pain...but hang in there. I'm a firm believer that these things happen for a reason (and not just cause med school is so darn competetive!). This has been a rough couple months for all of us waitlisters, so that is why I popose that all of us "thanks for coming out folks" who are in Calgary get together in August for a beer. Not so much to drown our sorrows (even though that is tempting!) but to lend each other support as we start the whole process again...What do you think?

Anyway, I also wanted to extend a congratulations to you CrazyKath! That is awesome that you are in for this year! Best of luck with the move and don't worry too much about housing as there is still plenty available around the university (even though it is not next to Foothills it is still pretty close).

Best of luck waitlisters...there is still a few weeks to go!

Guest squeegy80

Congrats CrazyKath!!!!! :rollin

I know of a place near Foothills with a room available so I'll send you a private message with the details. As a fellow off-the-OOP-waitlister, I know how much of a crunch it is to get everything ready to go for August, although I found out a couple weeks ago so I have lots of sympathy for you. Good luck with everything and let us know if you have any questions!

See you in just over 2 weeks!!!! I can't wait!!!!! 8o

squeegy

Guest CrazyKath

Hahah how useless am I?!

I private msg'd you my email squegee if you're still willing to help! I remember your excitment a couple of weeks ago (and my envy :) ) so it's awesome to be searching those apt listings now despite the scarcity!

Looking forward to meeting my classmates and I'm still hoping they'll add a few more! Go waitlist Go!!

Guest Win2002

omg!

I got a call this morning!

I'm in as an OOP!

I am ridiculously happy!

I can't even think now....

g'bye east coast, hello Calgary!

Guest happy2bme

Fantastic work OOP's It's wonderful to see that the waitlist does indeed move along even this close to class starts!

Good luck with the home hunting Crazy and Win!!!!!

Nice to see fellow posters getting the Golden Ticket!

Enjoy your weekend, you all deserve it!

Guest happy2bme

The area is just off "the red mile". Parking can be a hassle if you don't get an assigned spot. Fun area close to shops, pubs etc. I lived for 6 months not too far from there, it's not a bad area, and not too far from the med school by car, I never had to take the bus but I imagine if you call Calgary Transit they can tell you bus routes/times etc. Not walking distance to school but not too far of a bike ride....

But did you notice on that website the pictures are NOT of the apartment that is available for Aug 1?? The pics are of suite 15 which is more money and already rented. The suite for rent is suite 6 or 8 (I forget) and is less money and no pictures available.....I would have them send pics before you commit over the phone!!!!

Guest Scarlett

Hey Win!

I also used to live a few blocks from that building. It is a fun area to be in with respect to being near 17th Ave and all the restaurants/shops/pubs as Happy said, but what I found was that it was a bit noisy from late night partiers. Also, as Happy mentioned, parking is always an issue on the street so definitely make sure that you know whether or not there are designated spots for tenants and if that costs extra (it did at the place I was staying).

Other than that the area is pretty fun, with lots to do. You are about 9 blocks from the Bow river where there is an awesome pathway for running, walking your dog, rollerbladding, etc. That pathway also takes you straight to Foothills and it would be about a 15 min. bike ride.

As for buses there is the 414 which goes straight up and down 14th St. (a block from your house) that will take you to North Hill Shopping Centre where you can swith on to a couple buses that take you to Foothills (I think one is the 91 and there is at least one other one).

The bus service is good during peak hours and the daytime but early in the morning and late at night it sucks so bear that in mind. Since you mentioned you have a car though you would likely not have to rely totally on the transit service.

Anyway, I hope that helps! Congratulations on the acceptance...you're going to love Calgary - it's an awesome city and it is full of East coasters so you will feel right at home!

Guest Win2002

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info! (and congrats!)

I'm basically not being too picky...places that will let you have a dog are few and far between and beggers can't be choosers :\

He's mah puppeh (even if he is 5 now) so can't be leaving him behind!

For some reason I see alot of 6 month leases out there. I figure I might just nab one of those and learn the city and hunt for a better spot when the lease runs out.

I'm still just really excited to have this problem :D

I spent last night feeling kind of down after registering to apply for med in the fall. I was sort of bummed out because I couldn't think of a good topic for the new essay for the application for the class of 2009....what a turn around when I woke up to that phone call from Susan....ahhhhhhh life is suddenly so much brighter! :rollin

Can't wait to meet all you guys! I hope more people get great news from Calgary!

Guest medsmurf

Congratulations CrazyKath and Win2002:rollin

I'm very jealous but also very happy to see at least some of us waitlisted posters are getting accepted.

CrazyKath - I'm from Victoria as well but have been living in Alberta for the past few years. There will definitely be things about home you'll miss (the ocean, mild winters and all-around beauty of Vancouver Island) but you'll be so busy with the whole med experience and exploring a new place that things will be great.

Win2002 - I know what you mean about your dog. I've been packing mine around from city to city for the past fews years. She is a very well traveled dog;) . And it's worth the pain of having to try and find a place that allows pets in order to have your best friend with you.

I'm rubbing my magic lamp and wishing for all of us IP's to get some good news.

Guest squeegy80

Did anyone else just get 2 identical emails from the U of C saying that it is our responsability to make sure everything for our application is in order? I remember getting a similar one in the winter, I'm guessing this is just a random mistake...

Guest medsmurf

Hi squeegy80,

Yep I got those emails. I sort of just shrugged it off because I remember something similar happening last year.

Ugh I'm not too excited about going through the application process all over again :(

Guest Scarlett

I was also wondering if anyone else got those emails...I got kind of excited when I saw something regarding my application but then when I read it I realized it was probably just a glitch. :(

The thought of going through the whole application process again is exhausting! I hope it is easier the next time around...

Scarlett

Archived