Premed 101 Forums

So the waitlist is moving already...

Guest happy2bme

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest medsmurf

Congratulations pinkmango2005 for getting into your first choice school :D

And thanks for your consideration for all of us waitlisters by giving your U of C spot up so quickly.

Just to let everyone know, I was offered (and accepted) an OOP seat at Calgary on Friday... I didn't get to speak with Susan as she left a message on my answering machine, so I am afraid I don't have any more info to offer... but I hope I'm not the last one (I'm sure I'm not) :)

Guest happy2bme

Great news pinkmango! Hopefully one of us ezposters gets your spot at Calgary!

I'm sending tele"pathetic" messages to admissions right now...call me call me call me or call someone who doesn't want to go to Calgary, have them refuse, THEN call me!

Happy monday to those in the waitlist no fly zone!

Guest breaker79

Hey everyone,

I am now on 3 waiting lists, and i'm starting to think my chances are slim. In previous years has the wait-list moved much after about this time? Has most of the movement already happened? Anyways, good luck to all of you in the same boat, and congrats to those who got accepted.

breaker

Guest medsmurf

Hey breaker79,

Don't lose hope yet. I think being on 3 waitlists gives you pretty good odds still. I can't speak for other admission offices but Susan and Adele at the U of C office are super nice and will answer any questions you have about the waitlist (except your place on it...haha). I know when I emailed them last week to check on the waitlist movement they told me to feel free to continue to email or phone them about waitlist movement etc. (I'm trying to wait at least 2 weeks between emails ;) )

Guest happy2bme

I truly think that the chance for OOP to be accepted will be moving still after July 4th date. As after this date Ontario school provisional acceptances become final and people who had been holding onto to multiple spots have to just choose one and are kicked off other Ontario schools. Thus making all waitlists move a little bit more including the schools out west.

As for the Inprov list for Calgary, at this point it becomes unlikely that most of us who were not already contacted will be offered a position since there are so many on the Inprov list. In just doesn't tend to move as much after the initial round of people declining their spots Most of us I'm sure have made other plans for Aug/Sept by now and a phone call from Admissions becomes akin to Ed McMahn showing up on my doorstep with a giant cheque, it could happen but lets face it, it probably won't. However, I will always have hope and will moniter this board like a crazed fiend though...

But Breaker79 you are on 3 waitlists, many schools have shorter lists than crazy UofC so your odds are substantially greater than just the listers at UofC. Even more encouraging if you are on the OOP list here.

So for you, remain optomistic but don't put off taking a job/registering for courses etc. because you can always quit a job, or cancel a registration but it's alot harder to have no plans come Aug/Sept if indeed none of your waitlists pan out.

Good luck Breaker and don't forget to post if you get the magic call!!

Guest medsmurf

As happy2bme mentioned, I think the OOP waitlist will still move a fair bit but what about the IP waitlist? Will it move much more? In the past how many IP students were pulled off the waitlist in July/Aug? I personally know of one person who was. Hmmm...I still have about another week before I can email admissions again ;)

Guest wylie348

Hey Happy and Smurf - I know it hurts a little to hear the acceptees talking about meeting for a brew - perhaps the three of us need to meet sometime this fall (time permitting) if things do or do not work out! I think the three of us have lots in common... waiting, waiting, and more waiting!

By the by, does anyone have Susan's e-mail address? Adele has not returned a couple e-mails, but I hear she is away...?

Thanks!

:rolleyes

Guest medsmurf

Hey wylie348,

Susan's email is staylor@ucalgary.ca. And yes it would be nice if we could all meet up at some point in time (hopefully as acceptees ;) ). I'm sure I'll be around this forum a lot because if I don't get into U of C I will be going through the whole process again :( .

medsmurf

Guest CrazyKath

Just because I can't resist bothering Susan with an email of my own.... here's her reply ;)

"We are moving along the OOP waiting list.and are about 1/4 of the way through. I currently have offers for a few people that I need to hear back from and then we may see some more movement right away or not for another couple of weeks."

Thought I'd share if anyone else was interested :P

Guest wylie348

And on that note - from Susan:

The in province list is moving, but just by a trickle at this time. We

expect it to continue to move along right up until the start of school,

so unfortunately it is a case of having to sit back and wait.

The wait continues....!

;)

Guest happy2bme

So I've decided that usually opportunities present themselves to me when I am extremely overburdened and overly consumed with other issues.

Therefore I've decided to go ahead with renovations to my clinic, rewrite the MCAT, and further expand my husband's excavation business. With all this going on, making it very difficult for me to accept any med school offer that may come my way. I'm sure given my past chaotic history of good things happening to me at very inconvenient times that this is the only way to encourage that waitlist to move in my favour.

At least it keep me busy and won't have time to think about being waitlisted.

So how about everyone else? What are your future plans if UofC shows you no love.......

Guest CrazyKath

For me it would start with a week of self-medicating with Absolut and lots of fist-shaking in the Calgary direction....

After wallowing I guess I'll head off to Africa to do a volunteer placement that I have always wanted to do, but never seemed to have the time.

Guess I'll have the time now!! haha

After that... re-apply, re-apply, re-apply :b

Guest wylie348

I am not getting any younger, but on the other hand I already have an established career that I enjoy (just not as much as I would enjoy med!) - so I will just continue with the status quo, and wait... :)

Now, this may get a little old, but I plan to keep applying, until I get in, or until I turn 60...

Guest moxiekat

Hey guys... I just sent in an email today declining my OOP spot off the waitlist. So.. another spot will be coming open right away.

Guest happy2bme

OOOOOOhhhh so I'm not the only one not getting any younger! I am definitely applying again, not just to one school this time. It came up in interview that i applied to just one school and I think my interviewers didn't like that fact, I know my med student raised their eyebrows even though my reasons were legit, ie, no acceptable biochem courses.

Have fun in BC moxiecat! Wish I was OOP.....

Guest marbledust

Wylie:

I took me 3 tries to get in; like you I had an established career that I enjoyed but med was on my mind. So I kept applying with the attitude that "they have to accept me eventually" lol (thankfully they did, 'cause three tries was about all I had in me).

And--hopefully this does not happen to anybody here--my family doc told me about a classmate of his who had applied 7 years in a row before he got in after being waitlisted every year at numerous schools.

I was waitlisted my second year of applying and didn't get in. The wait was agony--I know how you guys are feeling :rolleyes

Hang in there :)

Guest wylie348

Thanks alot Marble - for two things: Taking the time to actually read some of our thoughts, and also for the empathy! It is nice to hear from someone who knows what we are going through! :)

Out of curiosity, Marble, did you apply to more than U of C? Happy mentioned applying to more, but for me, U of C has been my home for undergrad, and grad, and I really prefer being at U of C...?

Thanks again, and take care Marble!

Guest medsmurf

According to admissions the IP waitlist is still just trickling along. They aren't even quite through 1/4 of the waitlist yet. I still didn't get any idea from them though whether or not it's going to move much more.

Guest happy2bme

I think that they are only through 1/4 of the OOP waitlist, that would be about 20+ people.

Are they saying that they've gone through almost 1/4the IP list that would be 31+ people. Although people who have removed themselves before being offered admission might be included in this number so I guess it could be correct.

I just think that 1/4 through the IP with the low numbers posting that they've been contacted off the IP waitlist is odd.

I guess the rest of the summer will be a quiet one.....I wish it would stop raining in Cowtown, I seem to be developing gills.

h

Guest medsmurf

happy2bme,

I specifically asked Susan about the IP list and she said "It is trickling along. We are not even a 1/4 of the way through."

And yeah I'm not sure if that includes people who have removed themselves from the list.

I got the impression that not all hope is lost yet and the IP waitlist will continue to move right up until school starts.

Guest happy2bme

Thanks Medsmurf!

I will volunteer to contact Admissions next week to find out if post Ontario firm acceptance deadline, if that IP waitlist has picked up any speed.

I wonder what the general public would think if they knew that UofC has the funding and approval for more medical seats but can't get it together since April for a class in August even though they've been planning the increase for years already. When some of the Ontario schools and Manitoba school announced new seats they were added right away. (Not all the Ontario ones however). I mean if U of C can't accommadate all 25 extra how bout 5 more or whatever they could handle? This doesn't seem to be an option with them...

Guest Lorae

Hi happy

I can imagine how frustrating it is to be on a waiting list when there is potentially funding for more spots to open. Once you are accepted and actually taking your courses, I'm sure you'll gain a better understanding of the amount of organization and work that goes into providing a high quality medical education with good teachers. I don't think it's a matter of them not being able "to get it together." And I'm sure the public would rather have students graduate from a program as it was designed and with the teacher:student ratios that have been determined to provide the best education.

25 additional students means 5 additional small groups. This would translate into 15+ extra teachers for our communications, well physician, physical exam, and integrative small groups. Plus on top of that they'd need another 5 clinical core preceptors for each block - and there's 7 blocks in first year... yet another 35 teachers.

Also a reminder that (as is the case with medical school) our teachers generally volunteer their time to teach us. Although they are tremendous and dedicated, this means that they actually have to give up their paid time to teach.

If we just pump students through a system that's already stressed, does the patient really win?

Although I understand how bad everyone wants to be accepted, I think it serves the patients best if the proper infrastructure and preparation takes place.

Just my thoughts

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Just another thing to think about...

While the number if instructors/educators involved would have to increase to accomodate the extra students, the limiting factor is usually space. I know a lot of construction has been going on at Foothills, but as far as I know, no extra, larger lecture theatres have been added...or at least aren't ready yet if they have been. I know at UofA, our classes are filled to the brim..extra students would mean students sitting in stairways/on the floor.

I now it must be frustrating for you if you are waiting to hear, but I'm sure that admin. at UofC is just as eager as you to expand as soon as they can, without compromising the quality of education provided. Good luck to those of you waiting...

Archived