Premed 101 Forums

extra courses during med

Guest btrots

Guest btrots

Another question for all you UofCers out there. I'm interested in learning Spanish, and figure that a uni class would be a good cheap way to do it. Is taking on one extra class a bad idea while in med? Is it even possible?

b

Guest Lorae

Anything is possible with the right time management, however you wouldn't likely be able to schedule in an actual class. If you really wanted to pursue spanish, my suggestion would be to take it by correspondence.

and... you could maybe arrange your summer elective in a spanish speaking country :)

lor

p.s. i'd be careful with how much you add in to your schedule though... the workload is very heavy. of course it can be done, many of us are doing research or have children to raise, etc... but adding things can take away your precious spare time...

Guest btrots

Thanks for the advice Lorae. Guess I`m not surprized that it might not be such a good idea. Correspondence is an idea for sure, I`ll give that some thought. Would be nice to have real classes when learning a second language though, but what can ya do.

Maybe there`s a "Spanish for Dummies"@book/CD out there somewhere...

b

Guest marbledust

You might not be able to enroll in a credit course--although given that I and several of my classmates managed to hold down jobs during first year, I think an evening credit course may be doable depending on your other committments and time management skills. U of C doesn't (I think) offer a credit Spanish course at night, but there are other places in Calgary that do.

If you can't fit a credit course in, you might want to look at doing something through continuing education. U of C, the other schools in Calgary, and the city all offer languages in the evenings and some on the weekends. Good luck. Spanish is a lot of fun :)

Hey all,

Speaking of doing extra stuff while in med, I'm planning on fixing up and defending my MSc. thesis in early september. On the time management side, is their anything that is absolutely critical to remember about early september (which is when I want to schedule my defense) or is that period relatively doable for a quick 2 day absence from classes?

Any other suggestions on how best to make the transition as smooth as possible (I won't have that much work to do on the thesis; it should be done by the end of O-week)?

Thanks very much,

Ciao

Guest Jerika81

The first exam you have will be in early September so as long as you schedule your defense after that then you should be fine. I would aim for doing it around mid-September because you also don't want to miss Icebowl which is the weekend of Sept 23-25.:D

Archived