Premed 101 Forums

GIM FAQ thread

ACHQ

Thanks for all of this useful information! I have been following this thread since its inception (was in first year of my IM residency) and recently received my independent license. I am still in a subspeciality program and will finish in 2024. I know GIM is getting more competitive, but I was wondering whether any hospitals in the GTA were looking for short-term locums (specifically on weekends/nights). How would I go about inquiring further? Any insight appreciated! Ideally looking for a hospital with moderate amount of volume, efficient EMR, and one that doesn't require ICU coverage. 

11 hours ago, Internalmed1234 said:

Thanks for all of this useful information! I have been following this thread since its inception (was in first year of my IM residency) and recently received my independent license. I am still in a subspeciality program and will finish in 2024. I know GIM is getting more competitive, but I was wondering whether any hospitals in the GTA were looking for short-term locums (specifically on weekends/nights). How would I go about inquiring further? Any insight appreciated! Ideally looking for a hospital with moderate amount of volume, efficient EMR, and one that doesn't require ICU coverage. 

wow has it been that long... I feel old ahhaha

Tons of hospitals always looking for locums, especially nights and weekends which most full timers like to also give away.

I would contact the GIM heads at the various hospitals, they can get you onto their locum email pool and get you hospital privileges.

Most hospitals meet what you are talking about in terms of what you are looking for, but some will require CCRT coverage or at least admitting patients to ICU. some will have in house ICU but its best to ask each site.

21 hours ago, Internalmed1234 said:

This may be a silly question, but how do I find out who the GIM heads are at the hospitals? I tried searching this at a few of the hospital websites, and wasn't able to find them. 

Honestly I found out from word of mouth and doing electives

3 hours ago, rawrrrrr said:

How much are costs for RC certification in third year (prep, exam, fees, etc)?

I googled "rc exam fees internal medicine" and this came up as the first link: https://www.royalcollege.ca/ca/en/credentials-exams/exams-fees.html

You have to pay the assessment fee and the exam fee. They are tax-deductible. 

If you want to prep, most people do the IMR course, which is about $1000 and most IM programs would reimburse you for it: https://internalmedicinereview.ca