Premed 101 Forums

Will Queen's have lower MCAT like Western?

Guest aktpkb

My question is after receiving my mcat scores, will Queen's take a similar approach to Western and have lower MCAT cutoffs and use other factors for consideration of interview?

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Guest seedstrike

Hi aktpkb,

I don't seem to understand your question. In any case, Queen's determines the MCAT cutoffs once it has recieved everyone's applications. The cutoffs (GPA and MCAT) are designed to sequentially cut the interview group into about 400-500 students. So the cutoffs depend entirely on the the caliber of students who are applying. If you have lots of students with high GPA and MCAT scores, then the cutoffs for that year will be high.

Finally, once the cutoffs are set in place, Queen's does not make any exceptions. You either meet the cutoffs or you don't.

Hope that helped.

Hi seedstrike, what I was trying to get at was whether or not Queen's would take the Western approach and include other factors in considering who gets interviews, other than just GPA and MCAT. But that does not seem to be so.

Thanks.

Guest strider2004

Queen's and UWO have a very similar interview policy. Both only use the GPA and MCAT to determine who get's interviewed. On UWO's interview page it clearly states that meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee an interview, just like Queen's.

Guest shadowguitar

No, there are no exceptions wrt the cutoffs. The applicants with the top 400-500 MCAT scores and GPAs are offered interviews, period. There are no other considerations. However, once you get to the interview stage, your MCAT and GPA are no longer considered. It is 50% interview and 50% PIF.

Guest riffraff

hi strider, if you read the western forum, it seems as though now they may actually include non-academic factors in considering who gets interviews this year.

Archived