Premed 101 Forums

15 Full-Credits?

Guest Spencer

Hi Queen's Folks,

I'm a first year undergrad student at McGill currently taking 5 courses but I would like to drop one of them. I know that Queen's requires you to have 15 full-credits in order for you to be considered for a place in medicine and I do not want to jeopardize my chances of potentially applying and getting into Queen's medicine. At McGill, 30 credits is considered a full courseload, and even if I dropped my 5th course, I'd still be carrying 32 credits. Would Queen's look at that and consider my first year valid despite the fact that I'm only taking 4 courses in first term? Or will Queen's not allow any leeway for students who come from schools with a 30-credit system and stick hard and fast to their 15 full-credit requirement? If anyone can let me know the answer to that, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Spencer

Hi Spencer,

I called Queen's last year about a similar situation and they told me that they consider 'full-time' to be at least 8 half-courses or 4 full courses per year. For example, for two of my undergraduate years, I took 4 courses first semester, five in the second and 1 in the summer, and they said I was still eligible to apply.

Perhaps call them anyways to confirm.

Jamira

Hi Jamira,

Thanks so much for your reply. What if I don't take summer school? Will they still consider that a full courseload? I'm just asking because I was really hoping to get a job and work this summer versus just going to school. Thanks!

Spencer

For anyone looking for the answer to my question now and in the future...I called the Queen's Medicine Admissions Office today and they told me that you must have completed 15 full-courses or 30 half-courses by the time of application REGARDLESS of how your school counts credits or differs in their interpretation of what a full courseload is.

So Queen's isn't going to budge on the full courseload requirement. I did learn however, that summer school courses do count towards fulfilling the full courseload requirement!

I hope that helps anyone looking for an answer to my question!

Spencer

Archived