Premed 101 Forums

Dalhousie Medicine - Discretionary points

Hey! I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how does the committee assign discretionary points for applicants? 

I spoke to admissions office and the lady told me that “they are quite generous when it comes to these points”, but that doesn’t really give me much to go on

thank you!!

25 minutes ago, dreamer1000 said:

Hey! I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how does the committee assign discretionary points for applicants? 

I spoke to admissions office and the lady told me that “they are quite generous when it comes to these points”, but that doesn’t really give me much to go on

thank you!!

Based on my understanding... I believe that these points are reserved for people who have demonstrated through their essay or extracurricular activities extraordinary experiences. What isn't clear exactly is what they deem extraordinary, I think it could range from athletics, to work, to research, all the way to volunteering. Or they are used for people from rural areas or minorities that are severely underrepresented in medicine.

I believe this is how they are distributed, but again, I'm not a member of the admissions committee, just based on what I've gathered from others.

45 minutes ago, ramjagsingh said:

Based on my understanding... I believe that these points are reserved for people who have demonstrated through their essay or extracurricular activities extraordinary experiences. What isn't clear exactly is what they deem extraordinary, I think it could range from athletics, to work, to research, all the way to volunteering. Or they are used for people from rural areas or minorities that are severely underrepresented in medicine.

I believe this is how they are distributed, but again, I'm not a member of the admissions committee, just based on what I've gathered from others.

Thanks for the response. So I guess it’s just a general picture of applicant’s commitment.. interesting 

2 hours ago, Anaik said:

From my understanding it’s due to excellence in a given area, including but not limited to athletics, research, extensive community involvement, leadership, etc. 

Strange this is, the application already has points for research, community involvement, work, etc. Im guessing it’s about the extent of the certain involvement? We’ll find out sooner or later I guess lol 

39 minutes ago, dreamer1000 said:

Strange this is, the application already has points for research, community involvement, work, etc. Im guessing it’s about the extent of the certain involvement? We’ll find out sooner or later I guess lol 

Yeah my understanding is that it has to due with the “strength” of involvement. Like if you won a lot of metals as a varsity athlete vs just being on the team, published a paper rather than just worked in research, got recognition for community service rather than just volunteering, etc. Also if you worked a lot while in school you’ll get some of those points (as you probably couldn’t volunteer as much).

Im not on admissions, but this is what one of the faculty members told us at their annual “Dal Med Admissions” presentation at my university 

2 hours ago, Anaik said:

Yeah my understanding is that it has to due with the “strength” of involvement. Like if you won a lot of metals as a varsity athlete vs just being on the team, published a paper rather than just worked in research, got recognition for community service rather than just volunteering, etc. Also if you worked a lot while in school you’ll get some of those points (as you probably couldn’t volunteer as much).

Im not on admissions, but this is what one of the faculty members told us at their annual “Dal Med Admissions” presentation at my university 

Oh okay, yea that makes a lot sense! 

I felt like it’s just nice to have a rough estimate of your application before you begin applying :) 

1 minute ago, dreamer1000 said:

Oh okay, yea that makes a lot sense! 

I felt like it’s just nice to have a rough estimate of your application before you begin applying :) 

If it makes you feel any better I have zero idea where my application is at outside of my GPA and MCAT and I hoping to hear back from them this week :lol:

2 minutes ago, ramjagsingh said:

If it makes you feel any better I have zero idea where my application is at outside of my GPA and MCAT and I hoping to hear back from them this week :lol:

In the same boat haha ^ I was so shocked that MUN got back to us before Dal, usually it’s the other way around (for NB/PEI anyway)