Premed 101 Forums

MCAT PREP COURSE AS KINESIOLOGY STUDENT

HopefulMD786

Hi everyone,

I am wanting to know which MCAT prep course would help me best prepare for the MCAT.

I am a Kinesiology student so I have taken tons of physiology/anatomy courses, and also an intro Biology course.

I have not taken any chemistry's since high school where I took CHEM 11 and CHEM 12 and Physics 11.

I have not taken Biochem, Physics, or Organic Chemistry either.

Will it be possible to study for the MCAT without these courses and get a good score? Are there any Prep Courses out there that would help a student like me with content review??

Hoping to applying to UBC MED

Thanks!

Hello! I'm a BSc Kin grad, so maybe I can answer your question.

I took a Princeton Review course online which I felt was well structured and prepared me fairly well for the MCAT (I got a 518). They had lots of mock MCATs which was great - they were fairly representative of what was actually encountered in the real thing. However, through my BSc Kin degree I had taken organic chemistry, biochemistry, and physics, which you haven't. I imagine it's totally do-able, just expect to have to put in more work to understand those topics. In most MCAT prep courses they have so much to cover that they tend to go fairly quickly, so having a bit of a base would be good. All that do say, you might need to spend extra time on those topics. 

I believe that self-studying is the way to go. 

If you have the discipline to study over four hours a day (uninterrupted, of course), then you can likely self-teach yourself the material. You could also get a tutor to cover your weak spots. But a full course is pricey. Just my thoughts. 

Good luck.