Premed 101 Forums

waitlist letter gripe!

Guest yikes

Guest yikes

I'm not complaining about getting one (actually, I was relieved to finally hear some news)...but the first sentence of the letter made me think that I was receiving a rejection! I think it could've been written much better, especially since the next few lines were offering some hopeful news.

Guest MD Hammer

I, too, thought the first line sounded like a rejection - but once you read it over again, I think it actually sounds slightly complimentary. They group those receiving offers and waitlisters as those "selected" - hey, that's pretty good!

Just a quick survey of fellow waitlisters - who out there is holding out for Queen's - either because it is your first choice or because it is your only choice? That's me!

Guest flying kumquat

Queen's is definitely my first choice! I am also waiting to hear back from Dal. I was deferred there (ie. they looked at my application once and made no decision on it), and won't hear anything on my application until the end of June. Here's hoping I get pulled off the Queen's waitlist beforehand!

Guest Isoceles

Me too! First and only choice! However, the great feeling I got about Queen's at the interview weekend makes me think that it was fated to be this way. :)

Come ooooon, waitlist!!

Guest kaisermark

Hey everyone who posted a message here,

Can you all write a quick reason why Queen's is your #1 choice? I'm choosing between Queen's and Western and they're super similar. So, anything you write will help clarify the picture for me, your potential future classmate :)

Thanks,

Mark

Guest flying kumquat

Hey Mark,

For me, it's more a matter of location than comparing curriculums. It seems to me that Dal and Queen's are similar in their use of both PBL and lectures for learning material, along with a good chance for clinical exposure in electives/observerships early on. As well, both schools are of similar size. Queen's is my top choice because my boyfriend lives in Ottawa, and I've already done the long distance thing for awhile, having just finished undergrad at Dal (a change of scenery would be nice, too).

Good luck in your decision, and congratulations on receiving acceptance at both schools! But as a waitlister at Queen's, I'd have to say, go for UWO! :P

Guest Scared in the Woods

For me it was the people. Very laid back and genuine; I personally think that different curriculums are fairly minor details, but the people will make or break the experience. I just got a great vibe off the Queen's people (especially the ones who didn't know I was a pre-med and were still the same friendly types as the ones who did).

Guest MD Hammer

For me, it was also the people that were the compelling factor! As well, it is my only option still breathing, since my home province did not give me the nod. Queen's has a great program and I would love to come. Given the option between Queen's and UWO - yeah, that is a toughie, since they have similar programs - regardless of your choice, I am sure you will get a good education. For me, it would come down to personal preferences in geography...

By the way - I spoke with Anne today and she said that those activated off the waitlist should receive an e-mail, where you respond whether or not you wish to accept the spot.

Guest kaisermark

Hey flying kumquat,

I'm curious - you say that I should go with UWO instead of Queen's. Can you clarify? Why would you choose Western?

Thanks again!

Guest flying kumquat

I was just teasing. Sorry, should have made that a bit clearer.

As to choosing between Queen's and Western, I don't really know enough about Western's program to give an informed opinion. I was just giving you my reason for wanting to go to Queen's. I can appreciate it's a difficult decision to make, and I wish you the best of luck with it!

Archived