Premed 101 Forums

McGill Biochemistry

I didn't do my undergrad at McGill, but I'm pretty sure that completing a Biochemistry program means graduating with a BSc. It's sort of like if you asked "if I complete an undergrad, will I graduate with an undergrad?" You'd have to check out the specific requirements for your degree on the McGill website. This would be a good place to start. If you're still hopelessly confused you should talk to a program advisor. 

In terms of what you need to apply to medicine at McGill, they do ask for prereqs

-2 introductory Biology courses with labs (at least 6 cr.);

-2 introductory Chemistry courses with labs (at least 6 cr.);

-1 introductory Organic Chemistry course with lab (at least 3 cr.);

-2 introductory Physics courses with labs (at least 6 cr.).

These courses can be from CEGEP, IB, AP, or just regular university courses. 

2 hours ago, pnpclear said:

I didn't do my undergrad at McGill, but I'm pretty sure that completing a Biochemistry program means graduating with a BSc. It's sort of like if you asked "if I complete an undergrad, will I graduate with an undergrad?" You'd have to check out the specific requirements for your degree on the McGill website. This would be a good place to start. If you're still hopelessly confused you should talk to a program advisor. 

In terms of what you need to apply to medicine at McGill, they do ask for prereqs

-2 introductory Biology courses with labs (at least 6 cr.);

-2 introductory Chemistry courses with labs (at least 6 cr.);

-1 introductory Organic Chemistry course with lab (at least 3 cr.);

-2 introductory Physics courses with labs (at least 6 cr.).

These courses can be from CEGEP, IB, AP, or just regular university courses. 

I meant to ask whether there is a specific requirement for credits. Most undergrad programs are 90 credits, but even the "honours" biochem has only 73. Would I need to take more courses to "fill" the degree?

5 minutes ago, random_quebecois said:

I meant to ask whether there is a specific requirement for credits. Most undergrad programs are 90 credits, but even the "honours" biochem has only 73. Would I need to take more courses to "fill" the degree?

I didn't go to McGill, but it seems logical that you would need to take an additional 17 credits worth of courses to complete your 90-credit degree. The 73 credits listed probably only refer to required courses or "choice-among-several" courses. 

You'd have to go ask a program advisor or do some digging online to find out which classes can be taken as electives.

If you want general advice on your undergrad (unrelated to applying to medicine), I'd suggest checking out the r/McGill thread on **DELETED**! You'd probably get more accurate information than here.

46 minutes ago, random_quebecois said:

Yes, you have to take a major, and then you can either add a minor to your major or take electives (i.e. courses in economics/management/music/art/social science/languages/hard science but unrelated to biochem/etc., basically anything you want) to fulfill the 90 credits requirement!