Premed 101 Forums

Guide for Canadians Applying to US Dent Schools?

I hope this post is allowed here. I am a Canadian hoping to apply to US schools, and I am wondering if there is a guide anywhere for doing this?

I've had trouble finding information like:

• When to write the American DAT (or if it's even worth doing);
  • Which schools require ADAT vs CDAT;
  • Important dates etc.

I found something similar for med school, but not dentistry.

Thanks!

Subscribing to the online version of the ADEA Dental school explorer ($25) is a good start: https://www.adea.org/officialguide/. It identifies which schools are "Canadian Friendly" (does the school itself consider itself Canadian friendly) and if they accept the cDAT. Important dates is best to get straight from the application service, AADSAS since it's a common application for all dental schools (the soft open for this cycle has already begun). 

In terms of advice on taking the American DAT, it's a personal choice. Most schools that you will have a good chance at as a Canadian will also accept the cDAT, but who knows if there is any internal bias against it or not. The major pro, other than being universally accepted by US schools, is that you can take it pretty much any time of year so you can better coordinate studying with school. Major con, it has more material (math, orgo) and if you already did well on the cDAT it might give you a worse score (however, I heard the cDAT question for question is harder). I used the cDAT and it turned out okay, but that is just one case.

22 hours ago, Conan2020 said:

I hope this post is allowed here. I am a Canadian hoping to apply to US schools, and I am wondering if there is a guide anywhere for doing this?

I've had trouble finding information like:

• When to write the American DAT (or if it's even worth doing);
  • Which schools require ADAT vs CDAT;
  • Important dates etc.

I found something similar for med school, but not dentistry.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, orgolover said:

Are you sure you have the finances to enroll in US school? If you are completely relaying on bank loans and no parental help then it will be a financial suicide. Based on how the dental market  is going for associates you will have a tough time paying back that 500K loan. Did you think about Aussie and Irish schools? They are somewhat cheaper and allow you to practice in 3 states of US. Good luck!

Which 3 states? Are you sure? I thought youd have to study 2 years post grad at a CODA accredited school even forna handful of states...