Premed 101 Forums

Got the Bill!!!

Guest PARTY cal

Guest PARTY cal

Hi all,

On Friday I received the great news from the registrar that I owe them $14,000 and change :eek . I noticed in the breakdown that there is a $95.00 charge for the USC Health Plan. Are we able to opt out of this if we are covered under our parents??

Thanks....looking forward to meeting all of you.

Guest ozymandiasking29

How about the bus pass that we're paying for? Is there an opt-out option for that? I don't plan on using the bus next year so it seems like a waste of money to be paying $100 for it.

Guest PARTY cal

9sal3,

On Friday I received a bill from the registrar along with a validation card (have no idea what that is???). It said that on Aug 20th about $9,800 had to be paid.

Guest lcloh

Hi there..... what everyone has said is correct so far!

1. Bus pass - you CANNOT opt out of this

more info at: www.usc.uwo.ca/buspass/

Rationale:

The LTC wanted a fixed amount committed from the USC for them to give all students the bus pass, so the USC made this impossible to opt out of.

Thoughts:

The bus pass is actually a lot more useful than you think. Even I have a car now, but if I'm planning to go somewhere where I don't want to bring my car (e.g. train station, or to the bar maybe ;) ) then it's great. I used to use it almost consistently until I got my car so if you don't have a car expect to be using it a lot in London to get around.

Also, it expires in April, which is a pain.. you need another month for May, and that one costs C$60 from the LTC directly... you also would probably need tickets for Rural Week just to get around.

2. Health Plan - you CAN opt out of this.

more information is available at www.usc.uwo.ca/health/

click on opt-out. make sure you opt-out before the deadline of October 3, 2003. You need proof of alternate coverage of equal or greater value (so another health insurance card, or a photocopy of the contract, etc.)

benefits of the health plan are on the website

3. Validation card

You need it to/for:

(i) Get your photo ID card and proof of enrollment....

It is proof that you are enrolled in session this year (notice the expiry date is June 30, 2004?) This basically means that the val card, along with your Western 1 Photo ID card, prove that you are full time student in the FoMD at UWO for F/W 2003.

(ii) Get your bus pass...

You need to have both your Photo ID and your Val card to pick up your bus pass

(iii) Get your Westernizer...

Same as above - the Westernizer is a free agenda planner (well, not really free, but..) that the USC gives with the bus pass at a table behind the bus pass pickup lines...

(iv)...other things

Registrar's office, ISIC applications, etc. all require you to have your student photo ID + your validation card to prove enrollment as a student. (i.e. that you're still a student.)

So don't lose it!!!!!

Cheers!

Edited to add eye-friendly formatting.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

I'm going into first year kin at western and I also received my bill from them but did not receive a validation card. There was a spot on the bill that validation car but ehre was no card included. I have my western photo ID but no val. card. Is it different for first year students?

because that's the only way you'd have a Western 1 card right now... the validation card should come, on a second sheet, with the fee bill? if you didn't receive one i recommend that you call the registrar's office ASAP. (519) 661-2100.

Cheers!

that is correct. it should have a place for you to sign, your name, s/n, faculty, full time and expiry date as 30-Jun-2004, 14 boxes, and uh, instructions.

you will get your photo ID after the WCC on wednesday next week (gosh, is it next week already!?! :) )

those boxes are for administrative purposes. one of them will be ticked off when you pick up your Westernizer (after picking up your bus pass) this year.

Archived