Premed 101 Forums

Overload semester

Guest Chieka101

Guest Chieka101

K20 Optimist's post got me thinking:

I took six courses from 2nd to 4th year as an undergrad at UWO. I heard they normally drop one course each year when determining the GPA. Do you think they'll drop 2 courses for me, or is that just wishfull thinking :D .

Also, I had to take courses 200 level or higher (program restriction). Do you think that will influence their decision? I'm a little concerned because I'm just barely above last year's GPA cut-off.

Thanks.

C.

Guest UWOMED2005

I don't know anything about dropping courses (my best guess is they'll use the best 5 but that it is a complete guess), but I'm pretty sure you won't get any extra credit for the 200 level courses. The cutoff is a strict GPA - make the cutoff and you're interviewed, fall 0.01 below and you're not no matter what mitigating circumstances are involved.

On the other hand, if you're above last years cutoffs yet still worried about not making the cutoff for this year, I'd like to point out that last year's cutoff of 3.65 is the highest the cutoff has been for as long as I can remember (3.65 was also the cutoff for the class of 2004, our class of 2005 had a cutoff of 3.60, and 2006 needed a 3.65. I think 2003 and before were below 3.60.) I don't mean to raise any "false" hopes and I can't promise they won't be higher. . . but my best guess is that it's unlikely for the GPA cutoffs to climb much higher than 3.65 - so don't worry about it.

At any rate, worrying about it won't change what the cutoffs are set at. . . they should have them up on the web in a bit over a month (late January to early February) and you can bet one of us western moderators will post something the minute they're up!

Good Luck, have some fun over the holidays, and check back in early February when you might get some actual news. :b

If you have more than 5 full courses in a year, western will only use the best 5 to calculate your GPA...this is new this year. You do not get any credit for the difficulty of the courses....but you must have at least one year that is 60% 200 level or equivalent courses (ie a 'senior level' year).

You're really not allowed to take ANY first-year courses? What if there's something you really want to take for some reason? Or you happen to need, say, first-year physics for med school but can't fit it in your first year?

In any case, I am wondering why you would think that taking all 200+ courses should be worth 'extra credit'? ... Most students who graduate with an honours degree are taking mostly 200+ courses anyways. One first-year course doesn't really lighten the load significantly, the difficulty of the individual courses matters a heck of a lot more.

Guest Chieka101

Yes I was scholar's electives. ;p

Peachy, I was wondering about getting "extra credit" because some American schools consider the course level. I just thought I'd give it a try. But I agree, I didn't really feel too stressed out. And, oh, I was only allowed to take one first year course after first year. I took psych. I wanted to take loads more - bioethics, politics, etc - but they wouldn't let me. :( I was lucky enough to have taken physics in first year though.

C.

That really sucks about first-year courses! Otherwise I think scholar's electives sounds really cool. Is the 6-courses thing another scholar's elective requirement, or is that just personal craziness? ;)

Guest Chieka101

Peachy,

It was personal insanity. :D I wanted to major/minor in two very different subjects and I was worried that if they waived any requirements, I'd be in trouble later. So, I took the required courses for BOTH subjects. Yeah, it was kind of rough back then, but it's opened up doors for me now, and I don't regret it. ;)

C.

Guest doctorfunk

Scholar's electives students must take 5 full honors level courses (200 ) each year and maintain an 80 average. You ARE permitted to take general level (100-level) courses (whether it be a 6th course or a summer session course), however, it is merely recorded as a credit and cannot be used to fulfill the degree and graduation requirements.

Also, one of the strengths of the program is the flexibility that is possible. You maybe should have worked with the counselor's office or dean's office a little more, for they are often willing to make compromises in terms of the rigid core/required courses when combining two areas together (ie. a double major or a major-minor).

Guest doctorfunk

As an aside, I know people who have been disqualified from the Mac application process b/c they had taken too many 100-level courses (applicants applying in their 3rd year).

Archived