Premed 101 Forums

MCAT cutoffs

Guest batman

Guest batman

When are the cutoffs determined, and is there a good chance they'll stay about the same as last year (9/9/9/P) or can they go up significantly? I only ask this b/c of my 9 in VR...

Guest UWOMED2005

It would be dangerous to make that prediction but I think there's a solid enough chance they won't increase that you definitely should apply with a 9 in VR.

Good Luck and check the UWO website around January 25th.

Guest aneliz

MCAT and GPA cut-offs went up the at the end of January last year. They do vary every year...so it is unlikely that the cut-offs will be identical to last year.....although they are usually pretty close. GPA cut-offs varied between 3.55 and 3.65 in the past three years and MCAT cuts are usually around 9-10's or P-Q for writing. Take home message: if you are reasonably close to these scores, apply anyway and see what happens! Good luck. :)

Guest batman

just out of speculation: are UWO admissions more inclined to reinstitute that VR+WS=21 rule (which i don't mind at all) before they would think of raising the bar to VR=10? Could that REALISTICALLY (and by realistically i mean judging from the trends) happen this year, to all of a sudden require a 10 VR rather than a combined score?

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I wish that I could give you a more definite answer, but I can't. See, the way that the MCAT (and GPA) cutoffs are set is all according to whatever algorithm will pare the applicant pool down to around 400. Last year it was the 9s/P thing and the year before it was the VR + WS = 21.

In reality, there isn't much to be said aside from what Aneliz mentioned before. The best approach is to apply anyway because you never know how things are going to turn out. The way I see it, the VR cutoff won't go up unless this year's applicant pool proves to be a bunch of VR all-stars. The previous year's cutoffs are usually a good standard, so if you've met those, then you're off to a great start!

I guess on a more minimalistic note, there isn't much you can do to change your MCAT (or GPA) scores now anyway, so check that UWO box, write the imaginary essay, and the rest will take care of itself. The cutoffs probably won't go up until January anyway, so get your app in and turn your attention to something less stressful, like intramural inner tube water polo! For my money, it doesn't get any better than that! Mmmmmboy! :)

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest Biochem10

Hi. I'm having a problem deciding whether or not to apply to Western. My MCAT score was 9/9/12 P and my GPA is 3.66, although it was 3.74 in my last year and 3.68 in my first year. What do you guys think? I'm applying to U of T and Mac because I'm feeling pretty confident about my autobio submission, but the fact that western doesn't use one really makes me worry. Would I be wasting money?

Guest batman

biochem: read the ramblings above, and you should definitely apply, as did I. I'm in a similar MCAT situation (9,10,10,R), and I think we both have excellent chances of staying within the the still-to-be-determined cutoffs, unless something drastic happens. In terms of your GPA, you still have one year where you have a 3.75 - so unless a meteor hits the earth before janurary, you'll be good.

I just sent everything in, finally. I need a drink.

And now for some intramural innertube waterpolo...

Guest therealcrackers

Hemming and hawing over your marks --- senseless

Application to additional OMSAS school --- $75

Hemming and hawing over your application --- brainless

Interviewing costs because you bit the bullet and applied --- about $150

(give or take a plane fare and a motel room--billeting will be available!)

Getting the letter of acceptance from Western Meds (or any other Ontario school) --- speechless

Tuition--- $10 000+

Achieving a lifelong dream --- priceless

There's some things money can buy. For everything else, there's MEDICAL SCHOOL.

So even if you think you're a "borderline" candidate---remember that still puts you in the top 5%; and you never know which way the bar is going to move. Good luck with your applications.

Guest UWOMED2005

Intramural innertube waterpolo, eh? Is that something they have at most university intramural programs or are you at UWO already? And have you played any of the meds waterpolo teams yet?

Guest TimmyMax

Hey crackers,

You forgot that tuition is now $15,000 instead of $10,000 (and if it isn't quite there yet, not to worry, it soon will be!). You also forgot the having-to-pay-out-your-wazoo for medical equipment to the tune of about $800, as I was dismayed to find last night. Grr.

You also left out the part about experiencing a UWO interview weekend being priceless! :)

Hey Rader, I noticed that you aren't signed up for water polo! Maybe you can join Graham's team and get a firsthand account of how our team slapped their rudy-poo, candy-a$$es all over the UCC. Coming soon to a pool near you! Hoooooohhhhh yeeeeeahhhhh!!!!

Timmy

(P.S.: I'm not gonna take it easy on you guys just because Erlac is on your team, either)

Guest TimmyMax

Hey all,

Sorry about that last reply, but as you may have guessed, innertube water polo is life around here (along with ultimate, of course!). Especially if you're on Ekul's team. Did you hear that we just cut Lohdown???

Best of luck!

Timmy

Like everyone else said... apply.

If your MCAT and GPA get you the interview, what you wrote in your autobio submissions for UofT and Mac will work for you on the interview.

Guest aneliz

Despite what TimmyMax would have you believe, there is more to life as a UWO med student than innertube waterpolo....

Timmy: intramurals are supposed to provide a break from the stress of med school....I think you and ekul are a little intense for the rest of us.... ;)

To everyone that is applying (or thinking of applying) just do it! UWO's application is painless...and as I have said before, you can't get accepted if you don't apply! After all the money you have spent getting to this point (undergrad tuition, MCAT etc) and all of the money you will spend if you get in (outrageous tuition, med equipment sales, etc) what's another 75 bucks? And, just think of the fun you can have when you get here...because in Sept the 2005's are going to be slaves in the hospital and us 2K6's are going to need some new people to play with....:)

Guest therealcrackers

Timmy, that's it. You're dunked first time you touch the ball. Hope you like swimming, 'cuz you'll be doing a lot of it...

and the $10K figure was to be inclusive of all other Ontario med schools...

Guest UWOMED2005

Uh, Dr. Crackers, not to side with a traitor to the fuming fissures, but I'm not sure ANY of the Ontario schools come that cheap anymore. I think they're pretty much all in the $13-15k range now.

Bummer, eh?

Guest TimmyMax

Hey Rader,

Of course ultimate is life, along with inner tube water polo of course! You must have misread my post...uh, yeah, that must be it, heh, heh...

Umm...am I still cut?

Timmy

I've never played it with an innertube before - does it change the game much? I'm used to doing eggbeater the entire time, so i imagine this is much easier...

hopefully i'll get into UWO next year - i'm lookin forward to gettin into the pool

Guest UWOMED2005

I'm not sure there's enough teams for another player. . . we've only got like 5 of them.

To bring this back on topic, any other questions about MCAT cutoffs? And anyone want to start a thread about student life at UWO?

Archived