Premed 101 Forums

Second Degree

Guest Raid123

Hey guys,

I have a 4 yr degree in biology already and am working on a second degree part-time. I am only taking three classes each semester and will most likely finish my degree by the end of summer '03. Does anyone know how this figures into western admissions requirements. Are they going to be looking at my first degree (considering I was a full time student then) or my part-time degree.

Thanks

Unless things have changed, they will be looking only at your 'full-time undergraduate' work in terms of assesing whether you meet the GPA cut-offs. This means that they will look at your best year and your last year in which you completed five full or equivalent credits in a Sept-April school year. Your part-time second degree will not be counted or looked at. Check the UWO website or e-mail admissions to confirm this, but I don't think that anything has changed.

Good Luck!

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah. . . if you're serious about applying to UWO I'd look into registering full time ASAP. Of course that depends on what you're reasons are for doing the second degree. If you're GPA meets the minimums (3.65 last year, 3.60 two years ago) from your first degree and you're doing the second degree strictly for interest's sake, then don't worry worry about it. But if this is degree is to bump on your GPA, I'd enroll in those extra two courses AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Here's why:

Western's formula for admissions is the BEST and LAST year. But they have to both be FULL years. And you are also allowed to DO A FIFTH YEAR to include in that calculation. So if you have one year (ANY year. . . 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th) with a GPA above 3.6x, taking 5 credits this year gives you a solid shot of getting into the class of 2007 with this upcoming year as that last year. So if this is the case, try and get into 2 more courses (to take a full courseload) ASAP.

I would like to add that this was the case last year and the year before, but admittedly I'm not 100% sure if things are changing for the upcoming year. I'll defer to Aneliz and Timmymax - they're the experts on that one.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help both of you.

Second degree is just for interest. My GPA from the first degree meets the cut-off. I was actually offered an interview a couple of years ago but did not make it past the interview. Hopefully, this time it will work out.

Thanks again

Guest UWOMED2005

No problem. Hopefully I'll see you next September (I'd say I hope to meet you in March/April but it's the 2006s who coordinate interview weekend at UWO. . . though I guess we could meet if I end up interviewing candidates this year. :) )

Guest therealcrackers

No one has been explicit about how much of an advantage begin from the 519 (SW Ont area code) confers, but it is given consideration in the final analysis of applications. We asked the admissions committee people. THey ain't tellin'.

Archived