Premed 101 Forums

gpa calculation

Guest calguy

They only use your one best year when deciding whether or not to interview you. If you get accepted, then they look at your final marks for the year you applied (and you must make the cutoffs to keep your acceptance).

Guest UWOMED2005

DRSPD - that's kind of ambiguous as to who's correct. You're right though, JD was bang-on when they said that they interview based on your best year, and then accept you based on your best and last year.

UWOMED2005

Western Meds 2005

• 3 months later...
Guest OneBadSkwerl

So if I have one year which my GPA is 3.57 and another year where my GPA is 3.72 I'd still meet the minimum admissions requirement since the average would be >3.65? The admissions comittee would then use the 3.72 year to rank me amongst the other applicants?

Thanks in advance!

Scotty :)

Guest UWOMED2005

Cheech10 is correct - EACH year has to be above the cutoff, which was 3.65 this past year. It's possible the cutoff will fall to below 3.57 next year (I believe it has been that low before) but the last three years it has been 3.65, 3.6, and 3.65.

When you say EACH year, you mean each of the two best, right?

I will be well above the cutoffs for my cumulative GPA, and for three of my four years - but my first year is something like a 3.4 (definitely below).

Are you alright as long has you have two years above the cutoff, as opposed to all four of your years?

Thanks

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Yes, if you have 2 years, any two years, but one has to be your last year, so really any one year other than your last at or above the cutoff then you will be fine. Example: Hypothetical student Mr. X's academic record. Mr. X's first year GPA was 3.23. His 2nd year GPA was 3.77. His 3rd year GPA was 3.04. His final year's GPA was 3.65. Since Mr. X's last year and his best year was above the cutoff, he would be accepted, assuming of course, he got an interview in the first place.

Best of luck!

Tim

Guest UWOMED2005

Timmymax is right on. . . though I might have worded things a bit differently. Mr. X would definitely be granted an interview (so long as his MCAT met the minimums) and as long as his interview, MCAT and GPA scores gave him a total score high enough to grant him admission, the 3.65 in his final year would ensure his acceptance wouldn't be revoked. Sorry Tim - sort of sounded like you were saying having the minimum GPA guaranteed admission! Perhaps a Freudian Slip? I'm sure some of you unsure about what news is coming next Monday wished that were the case (ie that your GPA guaranteed you a spot so you could stop worrying). . . don't worry news - I've been there before, news will come, and I for one am hoping the news is good for you guys.

On another note, V - I think this question has been answered in pretty good detail in other threads on this forum. The UWO moderators don't mind answering questions at all, but it takes a lot of time to answer the same question over and over again - I know I've answered this one a few times. Try reading the posts here before posting a question - there's a good chance your questions have been answered. Also, our class website administrator has put together an excellent FAQ and resource page at http://www.mni.uwo.ca/meds2005

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Yeah, that's what I meant, Rader- not to imply anything by having met the minimum GPA required for admission, but a question about someone having a final year GPA of 3.65 will invariably surface...thought I'd kill 2 birds with one stone. Of course, you're correct in saying that the same question does seem to reappear in this forum especially- no one seems to read old posts anymore!

Best of luck to everyone and GO LEAFS GO!!!

Tim

Guest Little Brown Kid

Wait!! I didn't even do my undergrad, how did I get in....oh...wait....maybe I should keep that to myself :)

Um....GO LEAFS GO!!!

little brown kid

PS Why does Pete Sampras suck now?

Archived