Premed 101 Forums

Social Accountability Initiative

Hi everyone, 
I wanted to know if anyone has recently contacted uOttawa regarding the social accountability initiative. I believe that have recently updated the wording on their website and I am a bit concerned by one particular part: Note that if we have numerous qualifying candidates after both academic and non-academic file reviews they are also considered for regular stream seats.
Is this implying that a) social accountability initiative is processed as a "separate stream" and b) you might never get a chance to compete with the general pool if they deem that there are not "too many" applicants"? 

Full statement 
Application for the Social Accountability Initiative is voluntary. Once the Social Accountability application is reviewed and accepted by the Admissions Office, LSES eligibility is confirmed. Candidates will then compete for the two reserved seats. Academic and non-academic file review for these seats is identical to the other general admissions. Note that if we have numerous qualifying candidates after both academic and non-academic file reviews they are also considered for regular stream seats.

1 hour ago, Fun_Mushroom1998 said:
Hi everyone, 
I wanted to know if anyone has recently contacted uOttawa regarding the social accountability initiative. I believe that have recently updated the wording on their website and I am a bit concerned by one particular part: Note that if we have numerous qualifying candidates after both academic and non-academic file reviews they are also considered for regular stream seats.
Is this implying that a) social accountability initiative is processed as a "separate stream" and b) you might never get a chance to compete with the general pool if they deem that there are not "too many" applicants"? 

Full statement 
Application for the Social Accountability Initiative is voluntary. Once the Social Accountability application is reviewed and accepted by the Admissions Office, LSES eligibility is confirmed. Candidates will then compete for the two reserved seats. Academic and non-academic file review for these seats is identical to the other general admissions. Note that if we have numerous qualifying candidates after both academic and non-academic file reviews they are also considered for regular stream seats.

I interpret this as meaning that yes, SAI applicants are assessed in a separate stream for the two available seats (but still have to meet the same requirements as everyone else), and then if the two spots get filled and there are extra candidates that meet all the cut offs, these extra candidates will be sent to the normal stream and assessed with the rest of the applicant pool. Someone can correct me if they have more knowledge than this!

1 hour ago, Psych said:

I interpret this as meaning that yes, SAI applicants are assessed in a separate stream for the two available seats (but still have to meet the same requirements as everyone else), and then if the two spots get filled and there are extra candidates that meet all the cut offs, these extra candidates will be sent to the normal stream and assessed with the rest of the applicant pool. Someone can correct me if they have more knowledge than this!

Thank you! I guess I am still anxious since I do not entirely know how many will be applying for those two seats.