Premed 101 Forums

The Western Advantage?

Guest Spencer

Guest Spencer

While sifting through the stats of Ian's accepted/rejected/waitlisted survey at UofT (and other schools), I have discovered that many who have been firmly accepted by both UofT and UWO decline UofT's offer to go to Western instead...is this because of tuition? or some other mysterious factor which i dub the "Western Advantage" (if there is any)...many western Canadian applicants are also UWO hopefuls and I would just like to know why UWO is the first choice of so many applicants...thx thx :D

Guest UWOMED2005

I think it's because this school just seems to fit some people as opposed to U of T.

It's ridiculous to think (in Canada) of a hierarchy of schools. It's extremely difficult to say one school is better on the whole than another, unless some abstract criteria is used (ie Macleans) which may or may not fit a person applying to medicine.

What each school does have going for it is a somewhat unique character. And I think the key to picking a med school (or an undergrad school) is teasing out what those characters are, and how they fit you.

Make sense?

Oh yeah, if you want to save tuition you'd bypass U of T and UWO - I think we're still #1 & #2 for cost in the country. That's where we both get the $$ to bribe Maclean's.

Guest TimmyMax

Hi Spencer,

Not gonna lie to ya on this one- people on this board (and everywhere else) chose Western over other schools this year because of those immensely knowledgeable, extraordinarily talented and oh-so-good-looking admissions representatives of the Class of 2006 that ran the interview weekends this past year. ;) Since the admissions weekends, said admissions reps have been deluged with fan mail from people across the nation wanting to come to Western Med and keeping up with it all has been a royal challenge! Candidates love the atmosphere, curriculum and learning facilities UWO has to offer, but ultimately it is the current UWO medical student themselves that everyone loves. The people here at UWO medical school, my friend, are what constitute the Western Advantage! :)

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest TimmyMax

That's because the 2007s have much better things to do than posting endlessly on this forum. As for the (UWOMED)2005s, I really don't know what their excuse is....

Archived