Premed 101 Forums

Verifiers

Guest FrenchyMed

Guest FrenchyMed

I can't find any info on verifiers for UWO.

Are we supposed to add them to the sketch since no other submission is required?

For all other universities I am applying to, the verifiers are required in the school submission.

Please help!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Verifiers are required in the general OMSAS sketch, i.e., the one that is not school-specific, which every school to which you apply receives. Therefore, since Western will see your general sketch, embed verifier numbers in there somewhere.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest FrenchyMed

Thanks Kirsteen,

when I applied last year, I did not add verifiers to the sketch because I put them in the Ottawa and Mac submissions.

This time around, I am also applying to Queen's and UWO and I'm getting a little confused...

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

Can you fit all 48 of your sketch activities into the essays for Queen's and UofT (if you're applying to the latter), and questions for Mac? I know that I couldn't, so by default, I needed to enter the verifiers into the sketch. No matter, I'm pretty sure that the sketch needs verifiers. Besides, why take the chance and potentially tick a reviewer off who cannot find a reference person for your activities? :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest aneliz

Verifiers are not usually contacted by UWO, that said, make sure that you fill out the application completely! Verifiers are required as part of you sketch (as Kirsteen mentions) so make sure you put them in. You can use the same person to verify more than one activity if that makes it easier for you! You can also use the same verifier numbers that you used in your Mac and Queens apps for UWO.

Good luck!

Guest Lactic Folly

I emailed UWO admissions and they said verifiers were not necessary for the sketch ?? But most people will need them, if Western is not the only Ontario school they're applying to..

Guest aneliz

If that is what admissions says, it must be so. But as you point out, the same sketch is used for the other schools too so if they require verifiers, you better put them in.

I don't think that UWO would have cause to call verifiers, they really don't look at your autobiographical sketch at all anyway... it is all GPA and MCAT to get an interview and then your non-academic life is assessed during the interview (worth 50% of the final decision). That said, I can't guarantee that it won't be looked at...especially in cases needing some kind of tie-break....and if you claim that you won the Nobel prize and spent 15 years working with Mother Theresa, they may go looking for a verifier then!

Im pretty sure that if you are only applying to UWO, verifiers are not needed. The only time verifiers are needed for the general autobio. sketch (the one all schools get) is if you are applying to U of T.....

Otherwise, the only things you need to verify are specific events in the school submissions (including the ottawa detailedautobio sketch).

This is what i got out of the instructions....am i wrong?

Guest aneliz

I am not applying this year so I can't tell you exactly what this year's edition of the instructions said...follow them and you will be just fine.

UWO doesn't use the autobiographical sketch as a general rule - so for UWO, the verifier issue is pretty much a non-issue. Don't worry about it! :D

Archived