Premed 101 Forums

French guy from Québec

Guest noncestvrai

Guest noncestvrai

Hello all, I did take the gamble, but I think this is rather a hail mary type of deal, i.e.

VR8

PS10

BS12

Q

with undergrad GPA last two years of 3.94 and 3.98 respectively, from McGill B.Sc. Physiology and soon to finish a Master's from the same university with a 4.0, and all the stuff that you read on a cereal box to look good in an interview...

However, I am not a native anglophone, do you think this will be taken in consideration in evaluating my file, and VR score especially.

I did apply to Ottawa and Mac (Hamilton...plz no!)

Anyways I would appreciate a feedback.

Hi,

Your GPA is more than competitive! Your MCAT (VR) is borderline and may/may not get you an interview. UWO will not bend the cut-offs for you (or anyone else) for any reason. So, unfortunately your English as a second language status will not be taken into account in the pre-interview stage. However, the admissions committee is very aware of the difficulty of the VR section for non-native English speakers....there is not any way for them to review each file to determine if the person learned English as a second, third, fourth language, at what age they began to learn, and what degree of consideration should be given to that in terms of VR score...it would be a very arbitrary process so they choose to just 'not go there' and treat everyone that applies, regardless of first language the same in terms of MCAT and GPA cut-offs.

If you are offered an interview, your GPA and MCAT become relatively unimportant in comparison to your interview itself. UWO uses the interview to assess both your extra-curricular activities, motivation/suitability for medicine and English communication skills. Not having English as a first language will not hurt you....however, any 'deficiencies' in communication (fluency) likely will. That is the only potential place that your 'non-native anglophone status' may come up in the UWO app process. Otherwise, it will not be an issue, either positive or negative in the consideration of your application.

Archived