Premed 101 Forums

21 hours ago, scubadancingg said:

Thank you for the response! (also my first time on here) 

Do you think mid 80s is safe for me to go on a gap year or should I try to boost it ~2% (I think this is the highest possible it can really be with the added year) with taking a fifth year? 

My ECs (I know I am lacking in some areas): 2.5 years experience being a founder of two non profits (1 of them has been very successful), 10+ years of musical instruments and volunteer/work experience related to that (was playing piano at a senior's home for some months but this got cut short due to COVID) , VP of academic undergrad club + been on academic conference planning team for 3 years + some other random uni club experience, 1 summer research program, 1 clinical independent research project (chart study) , 1 year directed studies (and previous volunteering in same lab), other hobbies and a few other things. 

Not sure if my ECs are enough for an interview with the 84-86 GPA that I am suggesting. 

If you check the admission stats page, you will see that people with aGPA between 84-86% get in all the time. But it is still 2-4% below average. You will likely need an above average NAQ and/or a higher MCAT score to compensate. I applied this year with a similar aGPA and what I believe to be above average NAQ (since I’m older). Feel free to PM me in December after the interview results, and hopefully I will be able to provide more information. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I am prepared to grind for the MCAT (have already written it once and will be rewriting, so I'm aware of the tough process and can be realistic with myself) aiming for 517+ , to open opportunities in other provinces too. 

1 hour ago, sorrynotsorry said:

If you check the admission stats page, you will see that people with aGPA between 84-86% get in all the time. But it is still 2-4% below average. You will likely need an above average NAQ and/or a higher MCAT score to compensate. I applied this year with a similar aGPA and what I believe to be above average NAQ (since I’m older). Feel free to PM me in December after the interview results, and hopefully I will be able to provide more information. 

I've seen the admissions stats and I'm aware of this, but this is also what is worrying me. People with those 2-4% lower GPA must be quite older and have significantly more ECs and life experiences, and being only a 4th year UG rn and hoping to apply next cycle, I'm not sure if I can stand up against these applicants.

So my main concern is actually how common is it for in-province people from this 4th-5th year (or single gap year) undergrad age bracket , compared to people who have taken several gap years/done a masters or are mature students, to receive interviews with mid 80s GPA. Would really appreciate if anyone had any anecdotes regarding this. 

22 minutes ago, scubadancingg said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I am prepared to grind for the MCAT (have already written it once and will be rewriting, so I'm aware of the tough process and can be realistic with myself) aiming for 517+ , to open opportunities in other provinces too. 

I've seen the admissions stats and I'm aware of this, but this is also what is worrying me. People with those 2-4% lower GPA must be quite older and have significantly more ECs and life experiences, and being only a 4th year UG rn and hoping to apply next cycle, I'm not sure if I can stand up against these applicants.

So my main concern is actually how common is it for in-province people from this 4th-5th year (or single gap year) undergrad age bracket , compared to people who have taken several gap years/done a masters or are mature students, to receive interviews with mid 80s GPA. Would really appreciate if anyone had any anecdotes regarding this. 

I was like you 3 years ago, but I think only UBC can give you an accurate answer to your question. I don’t think it’s a good idea to make major decisions based on anecdotes. The application pool changes every year and unless you get to see that person’s entire application, it’s hard to compare and make conclusions. At the end of the day, you have to stand out in some way. From what I have seen on this forum, those who get accepted straight from undergrad usually have high stats, and or NAQ that are in short supply. Either way, having a high MCAT score would only help - so keep working on that! 

I wish you the best of luck!

2 hours ago, sorrynotsorry said:

I was like you 3 years ago, but I think only UBC can give you an accurate answer to your question. I don’t think it’s a good idea to make major decisions based on anecdotes. The application pool changes every year and unless you get to see that person’s entire application, it’s hard to compare and make conclusions. At the end of the day, you have to stand out in some way. From what I have seen on this forum, those who get accepted straight from undergrad usually have high stats, and or NAQ that are in short supply. Either way, having a high MCAT score would only help - so keep working on that! 

I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you so much, and I agree with what you're saying. I will keep working hard for all of my commitments to prove myself a bit more before that June 1 deadline, and keep editing the application that I have written. I wish you the best of luck with your application!!