Premed 101 Forums

Applying to med school with a BTech degree?

Hello!

I am currently going through a computer science undergrad degree (BTech) at BCIT and am interested in applying to med school after graduation. I was just wondering if my degree would be eligible since it's from a institute of technology? Has anyone gotten into med school from a technical school before? I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks everyone :)

Technical diplomas don’t count, but generally as long as it’s a bachelor’s degree it will count at most schools. I assume if you’re at BCIT you’re looking at applying to UBC - they will require at least 90 ‘university transferable’ courses, meaning you could have them assessed for transfer credit at another degree-awarding institution. They don’t have to transfer to specific courses mind you, but ubc would have to for example recognize your comp sci 101 course as equivalent to a 100-level ubc comp sci course. If you’re not sure, you can email admissions and ask them.