Premed 101 Forums

Advice for FM

MedZZZ

Hi All,

I am currently a 4th year student going through the electives. Unfortunately, because of COVID, I wasn't able to secure enough FM electives and I was hoping to parallel plan between FM and IM. I have 4 weeks of FM hospitalist elective but the rest of my electives are IM but I also have IM electives that are quite relevant to FM such as addiction med and geriatrics, etc. As CaRMS approaches, I am feeling more anxious and due to some personal issues, I am thinking of ranking based on location and rank my home IM and FM program first and perhaps rank FM OOP second and applying as broadly as possible as it's only a 2 year program and I can come back home after. I am wondering from other people's experience, is that unreasonable considering that I have only 4 weeks of FM electives? I was able to get strong reference letters during that 4 weeks. Any help would be appreciated.

14 minutes ago, MedZZZ said:

Hi All,

I am currently a 4th year student going through the electives. Unfortunately, because of COVID, I wasn't able to secure enough FM electives and I was hoping to parallel plan between FM and IM. I have 4 weeks of FM hospitalist elective but the rest of my electives are IM but I also have IM electives that are quite relevant to FM such as addiction med and geriatrics, etc. As CaRMS approaches, I am feeling more anxious and due to some personal issues, I am thinking of ranking based on location and rank my home IM and FM program first and perhaps rank FM OOP second and applying as broadly as possible as it's only a 2 year program and I can come back home after. I am wondering from other people's experience, is that unreasonable considering that I have only 4 weeks of FM electives? I was able to get strong reference letters during that 4 weeks. Any help would be appreciated.

I think you're in great shape for both FM and IM, especially considering the "cross-over" electives in IM.  I'd suggest maybe seeing someone, like a psychologist, for the anxiety.  I'd also apply to more than one FM and IM programs, as there's always a lot of randomness.  

I am hoping that's the case this year. I am definitely applying broadly but I was thinking of ranking IM higher but now I am leaning towards ranking FM higher and I am going to apply broadly. It's just unclear whether programs pay more attention to elective time this year and how much they value interview considering that they are virtual ... it's hard to predict things but I just regret not knowing what I really want earlier ...